2020 glitter house (castle) aka sorta putz houses

Many many years ago in the dead place, I found a description of Putz houses. So I made one. It became my personal tradition. I make a new one every year. On the base I write a summary of each year. They only come out at Christmas and when we unpack each one, we read out the description of the year and take a small trip down memory lane.

This year for the first time, I didn’t use a pattern, and I decided to make a glitter castle. In Ireland most towns will have a castle, so my village was over due one. This took an age to make, because I cut out each stone separately and it’s had about 4 coats of paint to get the effect-the year of building miniatures has paid off.

A castle felt appropriate because we’ve all been under siege this year. It’s about 10" tall

The glitter is iridescent, so it’s reading green in these pix, but not so green in real life

34 Likes

I love your castle and your village! They are wonderful. This idea is so much better than buying Xmas houses. I love that you write on the bottom! What a lovely tradition. Great job! :heart:

2 Likes

What a cool idea, to commemorate each year with something so special and beautiful!
Love the castle!

1 Like

Your castle turned out so wonderful! It sort of feels appropriate for 2020 because I think of castles as safety and places to go to to feel safe…safe from 2020…and yet a beacon of hope for the future…your village is quite lovely…

2 Likes

What a wonderful tradition! Love the castle, and the surrounding village. Very picturesque!

1 Like

Wow, your little houses are so awesome! What a great tradition! And your castle is perfect.

1 Like

This is absolutely magnificent! The texture is just phenomenal. I love that you write a little about the year on the bottom. What a great idea.

In the US, most towns just have a Starbucks or a McDonald’s and this is a lot more festive. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This turned out great! It is a perfect building for 2020 and for Ireland where we noticed that “you can’t swing a cat without hitting a castle”! And everything is greener in Ireland, so the glitter mirage is right on point.

I love seeing your whole village, as well.

2 Likes

I love it!

1 Like

:smile: D you could maybe make a glitter starbucks then?

the texture of the stones is easy to achieve btw. It is the inside of cardboard egg boxes, you just need to cut out each stone. when glued on, it really looks like proper stone.

3 Likes

I love everything about this castle and village as a whole. The “under siege” feeling is relatable, for sure, and this is a clever way to embrace it and not get depressing. Well chosen!

1 Like

So cool! And so awesome that you make your own. Happy Holidays to you. Your houses and house-make posts have sustained me throughout this crazy year.

2 Likes

Aw that’s so sweet of you to say xx

3 Likes

I agree…the little miniature scenes are top of my list of a positive thing that happened in 2020…a lot of my year has been filled with anxiety and grief, so these sort of posts keep me hoping and smiling…thanks for sharing your creations…they truly are lifesavers as well as spirit uplifters!

3 Likes

:tada: Congrats!!! :tada:
@Edel, your 2020 glitter house has been chosen as a featured project for the week :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

I love this tradition! The town looks amazing. I love the addition of the castle and how glittery it is.

1 Like

Lovely.

That castle is so whimsical and dreamy. All the snow and lichen. And the snowman! I love it.

I’ve never heard of putz houses!