2021 DeStash-Along

OOPS, bought 2 balls of yarn. Hopefully that’s motivation enough to destash once they arrive :rofl:

1 Like

@Renstar - Pro Tip! If you start knitting the moment they arrive, they will never actually enter stash. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

7 Likes

WOOHOO! Thanks so much, @Trillian for starting this up again for 2021!

I have made great progress in not adding to my fabric stash for the sake of adding to stash. However, I have EXPLODED my cardstock (printed and plain) stash. I do always shop my stash before shopping, but… ALL THE COOL PAPERS!

I have only made one thing so far this year, it is from stash, I haven’t uploaded pics yet.

3 Likes

I love that we have reasons / excuses for our habits! :rofl:
I’ll have to finish my current WIP quickly otherwise I’ll just have a bucket of UFO’s! And that highlights a different problem entirely!

1 Like

My first project of the year is also an, albeit small, all stash project! A sparkly purple snowflake collar cozy for Ms Delia.

Cozy-Jan2020-01

8 Likes

I used stash, I completed January’s stitchalong prompt, AND kinda actually used the January destashalong prompt, too! There is white. There are stripes. This is for me! And, I only used stash! Woo!

20210105_200453_resize_95

Puffins on Rocks

7 Likes

Only 5 days in and already busting that stash! The puffins are cute!

1 Like

Hi everyone :slight_smile: My first time checking out the de-stash-along :smiley:

I love my stash :stuck_out_tongue: I don’t want to guess how much money has been spent in my craft studio, but I really feel that I can make anything with using what’s in here plus a few things here and there, like white thread for example.

I’ve already started de-stashing my studio this year by sharing materials with crafter friends who might actually use it. I gave a friend who is just beginning to sew 3 massive bags of a variety of fabrics, and to another friend a whole big bunch of brand new funky children’s socks that I originally bought for making sock monkeys. It felt really great to do so.

Quick question, for each month, do we need to meet all 3 of the prompts for our make? Or can I for January for example, just make something for me from my stash?

5 Likes

Hi there, welcome aboard!
The prompts are inspiration but not requirements so you can take what you need to get an idea or motivation and leave what doesn’t speak to you.

Happy crafting!

4 Likes

I like how flexible this craftalong is, and I already set an intention to use more from stash, so I’m posting to commit!

My current project is the budget Nightshift shawl, using yarn I bought close to 2 years ago. And then got caught up in Other. Woot.

2 Likes

I’m going to focus more on destashing and crafting this year, so I think I’ll hop aboard this destash train!

3 Likes

I managed to finally make it all the way through the tiny knit snowman project kit that I have had for approximately 8 years. Yipes!

11 Likes

Her yiddol arms!!!

2 Likes

Oh my gosh, my thoughts exactly! That is too much, gah, I love it.

2 Likes

I decided on my last birthday (July) I was ready to be done with yarn. I set the goal of donating or using up my stash by my next birthday. Most of it is small skeins of my handspun, so I’m making little drawstring pouches from that, with leather cord closures. Finished one so far this month:

I also plan to continue finding creative repurposes for my childhood photos and the huge amount of dictionary pages in my possession. I offered up at least 25% of the photo stash to the fireplace at the end of the year, after using maybe 15% of it in 2020, but I still have many with arty potential.

I have a question for those of you who are more accustomed to crafting in humidity than I am: I’m not sure whether there is hope for my small fabric stash, or if it should just be discarded: I’m not having this issue with other supplies, or my clothes, but my fabric stash gets super musty-smelling in short amounts of time. Though it smells fine again after a wash and dry, if I let two pieces sit for a week in contact with each other they stink again. There is no visible mold or mildew, but I’m wondering if it’s just in there for good. If so, that does shorten my destash project list for the year!

7 Likes

Hey lady - I’m living the humid summer with you! The only way to work around it is air tight storage containers, or dehumidifiers, because fabric can mold. But it sounds like you’re catching it, before.

My local target has some. They’re clear with bright blue air tight strips.

Also, that pouch is so Of the Forest!

Thank you, good to know! I didn’t concede that I needed a dehumidifier until mid-summer this year (the previous summer was fine, or so I thought). So I wonder whether it’s too late for the fabric that wasn’t in humidity-control. I’ll pick up one of those bins and give it one more shot!

And I so love that yarn; the fiber came from lapoli about 10 years ago in Shop the Swap!

1 Like

Another thing to try with your fabrics is Oxi-clean. I’ve used it with decades-old fabrics & trims in many a costume shop. I had about an 80-90% success rate with it. Once in a blue moon a bundle of old nasty stained brown lace would just disintegrate, but most of the time I ended up with usable (non-stinky) fabric and trim. The color of the water they were soaking in was gross, but I usually ended up with white or ivory lace at the end of it, from things that had been stored in a barn for 20-60+ years.

Also, don’t forget to try some vinegar in your wash load with the fabrics. It can do wonders eliminating nasty scents in fabrics. Then try storing your newly-cleaned fabrics in zip top bags, inside plastic totes to really keep out the humidity.

5 Likes

I got 2 hand kites made today with a mix of stash ribbons and purchased-for-this rings. I’m really pleased with how they came out. I was originally going to buy all new ribbon to do rainbow ones but then decided to do scrappy ones instead and I’m glad I did, I used some ribbons i’ve had for 10 years!

10 Likes

Not yet blocked, but I finshed the budget version of The Nightshift Shawl.

I’ve had the yarn for over a year! I’m so relieved to finish it, and inspired to cast on my next project!

16 Likes