2021 Sustainable mend-along

that is a gorgeous cutting board

2 Likes

My sewing machine is threaded with white thread so I am going to take the time to finally shorten all of my king sized pillow cases…

I have a king size bed, but we use queen size pillows…of course, all the sheet sets come with king size cases…I have been folding them over, meaning to shorten them “someday”…today is the day…I have six to do…just get it done!

8 Likes

It’s always good to tackle one of those “someday” projects. It’s probably boring but it won’t take that long and then you’ll have well fitting pillow cases.

5 Likes

I finished all the mending on my DH’s work jeans. The crotch has been reinforced, and holes in one knee and both cuffs have been patched. I used Pellon SF785 Woven Sew-in Interfacing.

14 Likes

That is amazing! I have a pair to mend, I’m going to get on it.

2 Likes

Amazing! For the cuff, did you unpick the seam, then use iron on interfacing, stitch over it to reinforce it, then put in the seam again? I’ve patched piles of men’s work jeans in my life but this really is next level mending.

3 Likes

It’s sew-in, woven interfacing. And, yes, that is exactly what I did.

I bet you could substitute a bit of starched woven cotton. The interfacing is just a thin, stiff, not-so-tightly woven fabric.

3 Likes

That’s absolutely brilliant. I would never have thought of that. The fabric was so very frayed there and I bet when he’s wearing it now you don’t even notice it’s mended. I’m a big fan of visible mending as well, but invisible mending is a true skill.

3 Likes

I am amazed by all of this. It’s got me rethinking my mending game here.

3 Likes

Great work there!

1 Like

Wow, the hem patching is impressive! (My husband wears out his back hems all the time and it mystifies me)

2 Likes

Years ago we came aacross this thick warm flannel shirt in men’s small at an LL Bean outlet. And they sont make men’s smalls, we’ve never found another. My DW has loved it to pieces. A few weeks ago I repaired the frayed cuffs and mended some tears, but today the whole elbow shredded. Areas are just so thin. I may have to make her a blankie out of it to comfort her.

7 Likes

I have a couple ancient things buried in the bottom of my cedar chest that are basically not wearable anymore but I can’t toss in the rag pile either. :green_heart:

2 Likes

Thanks! Mine walks the length off his pants. He either needs to buy them an inch shorter or I need to hem them when they’re new. I used to do the same thing to my own jeans, but I started hemming my new pants and the problem went away (I learned the hard way to make sure my jeans weren’t too long…stepped in dog poo one night while camping and the only thing that got messy was the hem of my jeans :scream: :face_vomiting: took so many washes with enzyme cleaner to get the smell out).

4 Likes

Living it up on a Thursday night mending some fairy wings, jeans and other odds and ends. Like ya doo. :slight_smile:

10 Likes

lol I bet there aren’t too many people that can casually mention in public that they are mending fairy wings! :joy:

I often wonder what some would think hearing snippets of our conversations here…well, I tore off a doll head today…I made some bat wings…ha ha ha

6 Likes

I know exactly what people think. They wonder if they can get you to mend the hole in their pocket or ~shudder~ put in a new zipper or lining :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Or that you’re a weirdo. It can be two things :smile:

9 Likes

Tried a “mending hack” I saw on Pinterest on the ol’ winter jeans that are about to be retired.

Also glued the fairy wings, patched a pillow case and reattached a button to a felt slipper.

8 Likes

I actually offered to mend my coworkers handknit socks… Her late mother knitted them from yarn she spun from the wool of their own sheep, and there might still be some of that handspun left at her fathers place. Hell yeah, let me play with that!

We’ll see if she can find the yarn and takes me up on the offer.

5 Likes

Did you just fold the fabric over the worn out spot and sew it in place? Wouldn’t that be visible if you wear it?