2021 Sustainable mend-along

You are not only a good friend but the repair is flawless!

1 Like

Beautiful repair job! Canā€™t even tell. And I love the cheery green zipper you put in. :two_hearts:

1 Like

Thank you both! I was hoping to find a green that matched the original just a bit better, but I couldnā€™t find one in the limited time I had. I was hoping Iā€™d be able to repair it without dismantling the entire pouch, but honestly, the pouch ended up better in the end- some of the stitching on the lining was starting to fall apart, so the pouch should last even longer!

4 Likes

A friend of mine asked me to repair a vintage apron that she had used for years and years. To be honest, it probably should have been trashed. I knew it meant a lot to her so I took it apart, and basically remade the entire thing with newer fabric, and sewing what was left of her apron on . It was way more work than I had intended, but, like you said, it should last for many more years and maybe get passed to her daughter.

I know we are people who canā€™t just do it part wayā€¦and they need never knowā€¦it is what we do!

6 Likes

Iā€™m sure everyone will be shocked- shocked!- to know that I never got to the afghan mending that weekend, nor this one. (Clutch those pearls!) Hereā€™s hoping I can get into it sometime this week. I have 2 that need mending and I want them back in their proper spots in the house!

8 Likes

I was inspired by everyoneā€™s mending projects, so I finally took on these oven mitts that had various holes in them (mostly from getting too close to the burner :grimacing:). I love using leftover denim from blue jeans hem shortening.

16 Likes

What a good idea! Denim is pretty sturdy and thickā€¦and I like the patchy look! :smile:

2 Likes

They are quite old, but they still work. The holes were too large to just pull together in addition to being on the outer edges, so patches were the only way to go. Function over fashion. :rofl:

4 Likes

Mending project done that had been on the pile for over a year!

I found these pristine, ultra low-riding linen bell-bottom linen pants at the thrift store. However, sexy Caribbean beach style isnā€™t where Iā€™m at at this stage of my life (maybe later! :smile:). So I cut off the length at the bottom, hemmed them with a simple crocheted lace border. Now I have bloomers! The opposite of their sexy origin, which suits me better. They are always going to be worn with something that covers my bum, so no one will see how dangerously low these sit on my hips. Also, my first time trying lace-weight crocheting, and it wasnā€™t as daunting as I had feared!

15 Likes

I absolutely adore these, calluna! They do look very Summer Fun, but the crochet edging gives it a less commercial look, and more creative casual. Well done!

2 Likes

Speaking of the year+ mending pile, I have needed to repair several blankets for so long, I had to give them one final wash and then just leave them, as they were quite tatty!

This was the edging, allllll around. What a sad state of affairs.

Instead of waiting for ā€˜the right colorā€™, or the ā€˜the right bindingā€™, I repurposed some satin I had for a baby blanket (the baby is now 2), and even did my first join!

I was pretty tickled with myself, here. One strip was already sewn by the time I considered I might run out and have to use the second pack. Yeah, you mender! Look at you go!

And finally, I did some kantha stiched patches over the inside tear.

Donā€™t you dare zoom in! The binding isnā€™t stiched that straight, but it did taco the WHOLE outside, so itā€™s no longer so shabby. Iā€™m happy with it. And now I can move it back to the living room, no longer a shameful secret!

15 Likes

I think you saved a gem!

My poor mending bag is over run now with t-shirts my hubby wants me to ā€œfixā€ā€¦I did manage to shorten four more king size pillow cases down to queen sizeā€¦I now have plenty of pillow casesā€¦

4 Likes

I love the look of mended blankets and this one is no exception!

My mending pile has been growing because Iā€™ve been putting off a job Iā€™m not looking forward to - finding a way to put a new sole under a pair of slippers. I think thatā€™s the correct word for it in English - those soft, warm things you wear around the house in summer. In my country, when we say slippers we mean the rubber things, flip-flops and the like. Mr Imma has had the same pair of slippers for a couple of years and I have matching fabric for the sole, but itā€™s so worn out I donā€™t even know where to start.

The other mending jobs are all simple things - rips and holes in jeans mainly. I should at least mend those so they can go back into the closet, and then think of a solution for the slippers some other time. Itā€™s May, heā€™s not going to need them anytime soon.

3 Likes

Yes we call them slippers - what do you actually call slippers? When I mend the soles it depends but I often use a substrate first to give some stability and then place the final material over it. That way you can get the holes and ware spots mended up well, though maybe not pretty, but, the final layer makes them more estetically pleasing.

I have a basket of vendables myself though. A couple are easy fixes tooā€¦why have I not done them yet?

3 Likes

I LOVE THIS! Those kantha patches. :heart_eyes:

@calluna - I love this too! Bloomers are way sexier. :wink:

2 Likes

Iā€™m working on the bigger quilt right now, AR! There are so many worn spots! It sounds like a complaint, but really, my scrappy self is so interested to see what the final repaired piece will look like. Becauseā€¦itā€™s a lot. (Said with a little smidge of glee.)

Scrappy Sisters, Unite!
@MightyMitochondria

5 Likes

Yes! :fist:

1 Like

That looks beautiful & like it will only get better with wear. Iā€™ve done a little patching on my quilt of many squares over the yearsā€¦

ā€¦but there are always more tears & holes. I never quilted or tied it in any way either so I think kantha stitch repair would be a great way to fix things & marry front to back at the same time.

9 Likes

I am another fan of happily patched things!

@immaculataā€¦I have several pairs of slippers in the house because we donā€™t wear shoes inside. Can you use some heavily felted old sweaters for the soles? You can then rubber drops on the bottom to keep them from slippingā€¦I found this tutorial that might give you a startā€¦

How to Repair your Favorite Slippers

2 Likes

@Abbeeroad and @JoyfulClover, my scrappy sisters, I love, love, love this mending solution!

3 Likes