2021 Sustainable mend-along

We bought this small pet playpen for our foster kittens to create a tissue pit (crumpled tissue paper and kittens, so much fun) but our young forever cat has claimed it as his safe place/playpen. But one side ripped, so hand-stitched patch. Let’s hope it lasts a while longer, trying to stitch on a springy, pop-up item is challenging.

12 Likes

Sewing on nylon is a challenge, period! Glad you were able to repair it…

My cat is getting bored…I am going to see if he will play with some tissue paper.

2 Likes

Felix loves tissue paper. Well Felix loves anything that moves or crinkles or both. Today was a good day for him because we had a few flies in the house due to home construction projects. He is so happy.

4 Likes

Always nice to have someone who’s glad when flies get in! :laughing:

2 Likes

I did a whole pile of mending today on a Skype call with sewing friends! I fixed a hole in Mr Imma’s jeans, two pairs of sweatpants that were fraying, shortened the straps of a few cami tops that I have. The only thing I didn’t fix was those slippers.

@AIMR The soles of his slippers look almost as bad as the ones in the tutorial! I already have some of that ready-made sole fabric with the rubber drops in my stash, and in the right colour as well. I already figured that I was going to need to rip out the whole sole to get a good looking finish. They also have a weird shape. I don’t have them here but it’s this model:

Ajax is his favourite football (soccer) club, and they’re very comfortable, and they don’t sell these anymore. They are awfully ugly but football is like a religion in this country.

6 Likes

Sounds like A fun and productive stitch party!

1 Like

They are shaped like wooden shoes! lol Good luck…I know you can do it!

2 Likes

I got these gloves so I wouldn’t tear up my garden gloves dealing with breaking up some concrete that had to be removed to repair our sewer line, but they didn’t make it…

5 Likes

the dip for tool handles that comes in a can works well on them as a patch

Although this is also a commercial quilt, it’s one of my favorites. Shamefully, it has also been on the mending pile for a ridiculously long time.

Most of the threadbare spots looked like this:

But all the repairs have been made! I tried out different stitch styles, non-white threads, and finally used all the scrap threads on the last patch. Which I was skeptical of, but turned out to be my favorite.

Super happy both of my favorites are back in snuggle rotation!

Edit: Well. As I was folding it, I found another threadbare spot. Sneaky!

Okay, 2 more patches. I regret using the darker thread (to have kept it all lighter), but it’s done now. And I’m more pleased to have it patched.

11 Likes

I love this mend so much! it reminds me of my Holly Hobbie “Blue Girl” things. :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

Awww, I love Holly Hobbie!

2 Likes

I made a start! It’s going to be a pain to sew back together again, I already know that. But they will look almost like new when they’re resoled.

9 Likes

now that’s some love right there! As a reward he should buy you that dream house LOL

I need to mend a pair of uniform pants for my daughter. She’s down to 1 pair of black pants. Now she has tan pants and won’t wear them and 3 skirts and its a bit cold and she doesn’t like tights so I basically am doing laundry everyday at this point so why am I procrastinating on the mend???

3 Likes

omg. what a fantastic idea.

3 Likes

Oh, my! I never thought of reducing king size pillow cases. We used to have a king sized bed with king pillows, but we are in a smaller house now, so we have a smaller bed with standard pillows. I have all these KS cases, but I was about to go buy standard ones. Thanks for the idea!

5 Likes

And here I an, extending standards into kings, so i can sleep on my side & put my hand between my two pillows at night, without the pillowcases getting shoved back & exposing the pillow! LOL

3 Likes

I have six standard pillows on my king size bed. I found a pillow liner that has some tooth to it so the pillowcases don’t slip around…also, I noticed that there are pillowcases now that have a little flap on the inside that folds in over the pillow to encase it. I am pretty rough on bedding as I move around a lot!

Seems like I should send you all of the ends I cut off on mine so you can extend yours…lol!

3 Likes

Finally some actual mending for me! Nearly all our kitchen towels are either inherited or old thrifted ones. They don’t make them like they used to…

My husbands grandmother was named Ulla, so this might be one of hers. Unfortunately it had a hole, so I set it aside to mend when I noticed. And… nothing happened until today.

Just chilling, icing my knee and mending a towel. I grabbed the towel, my mending mushroom and a needle that already had a bit of embroidery thread on it.

Very quick and easy little mend, but extremely satisfying. And the towel can go back into rotation again.

13 Likes

And to celebrate I added a challenge for May. April got no challenge… oops?

1 Like