2021 Sustainable mend-along

We bought this small pet playpen for our foster kittens to create a tissue pit (crumpled tissue paper and kittens, so much fun) but our young forever cat has claimed it as his safe place/playpen. But one side ripped, so hand-stitched patch. Let’s hope it lasts a while longer, trying to stitch on a springy, pop-up item is challenging.

10 Likes

Sewing on nylon is a challenge, period! Glad you were able to repair it…

My cat is getting bored…I am going to see if he will play with some tissue paper.

2 Likes

Felix loves tissue paper. Well Felix loves anything that moves or crinkles or both. Today was a good day for him because we had a few flies in the house due to home construction projects. He is so happy.

3 Likes

Always nice to have someone who’s glad when flies get in! :laughing:

2 Likes

I did a whole pile of mending today on a Skype call with sewing friends! I fixed a hole in Mr Imma’s jeans, two pairs of sweatpants that were fraying, shortened the straps of a few cami tops that I have. The only thing I didn’t fix was those slippers.

@AIMR The soles of his slippers look almost as bad as the ones in the tutorial! I already have some of that ready-made sole fabric with the rubber drops in my stash, and in the right colour as well. I already figured that I was going to need to rip out the whole sole to get a good looking finish. They also have a weird shape. I don’t have them here but it’s this model:

Ajax is his favourite football (soccer) club, and they’re very comfortable, and they don’t sell these anymore. They are awfully ugly but football is like a religion in this country.

5 Likes

Sounds like A fun and productive stitch party!

1 Like

They are shaped like wooden shoes! lol Good luck…I know you can do it!

2 Likes

I got these gloves so I wouldn’t tear up my garden gloves dealing with breaking up some concrete that had to be removed to repair our sewer line, but they didn’t make it…

4 Likes

the dip for tool handles that comes in a can works well on them as a patch

Although this is also a commercial quilt, it’s one of my favorites. Shamefully, it has also been on the mending pile for a ridiculously long time.

Most of the threadbare spots looked like this:

But all the repairs have been made! I tried out different stitch styles, non-white threads, and finally used all the scrap threads on the last patch. Which I was skeptical of, but turned out to be my favorite.

Super happy both of my favorites are back in snuggle rotation!

Edit: Well. As I was folding it, I found another threadbare spot. Sneaky!

Okay, 2 more patches. I regret using the darker thread (to have kept it all lighter), but it’s done now. And I’m more pleased to have it patched.

7 Likes

I love this mend so much! it reminds me of my Holly Hobbie “Blue Girl” things. :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

Awww, I love Holly Hobbie!

2 Likes