2022 Mend and maintain-along

Perfection!

I’ve been calling that “covid-many years ago”.

3 Likes

I like @Animegirlie 's idea of taking two years off our ages for that time…I wonder if people who went through the WW’s felt the same way about the passage of time? I really have no concept of it anymore either…I really don’t want to get in the mindset of pre and post…

@mellybelly81 — what a clever idea to make that hanging basket sturdier! I’ve made a couple and don’t like the “droop”. On smaller ones, I can use a deli container.

4 Likes

Husband jokingly calls anything pre-covid “the before times.” Its hard not to with a major, global event. I do think our parents, grandparents, and great grand parents must have felt something similar after the world wars.

3 Likes

My grandparents definitely always talked about “before the war” and “after the war”. One of them was always complaining about those young whippersnappers born after the war who know nothing.

3 Likes

Not only was the original plug broken, it wasn’t the right configuration for the 220 outlet in our shop.

This is the power cord for my new-to-me-fancy-pants table saw.

8 Likes

:sunny: :crescent_moon: :white_check_mark: :crescent_moon: :sunny: :crescent_moon: :white_check_mark: :crescent_moon::sunny: :crescent_moon: :white_check_mark: :crescent_moon: :sunny: :crescent_moon: :white_check_mark: :crescent_moon::sunny: :crescent_moon: :white_check_mark: :crescent_moon: :sunny: :crescent_moon: :white_check_mark: :crescent_moon: :sunny:

It’s time to vote in the All Things Being Equal - A Craft The Equinox 2022 Challenge! The poll is live through Oct 27! Choose carefully, friends!

:sunny: :crescent_moon: :white_check_mark: :crescent_moon: :sunny: :crescent_moon: :white_check_mark: :crescent_moon::sunny: :crescent_moon: :white_check_mark: :crescent_moon: :sunny: :crescent_moon: :white_check_mark: :crescent_moon::sunny: :crescent_moon: :white_check_mark: :crescent_moon: :sunny: :crescent_moon: :white_check_mark: :crescent_moon: :sunny:

1 Like

This is not a mend but a maintain!

I’ve lost over 25 lbs because I did not want to enter another decade of life at an uncomfortable weight.

Now my jeans don’t fit. Surprise? But when I went to order new ones (because I donated the smaller jeans a year ago, silly me) my favorite jeans are all out of stock. I love Gloria Vanderbilt Amanda Longs. They have so many styles and the ones I love are out of stock everywhere. I finally found one pair on Amazon that was not overpriced and in a color I could live with. But…

I need more than one pair. And hitching up my pants every time I move was annoying and I hate belts. So I created a half belt!

It’s a piece of strong 1" elastic covered in black fabric and a couple of snaps. It snaps to the belt loop on the side, goes through the back loop and snaps to the other side. It works brilliantly? They may be baggy, but they are comfortable and they stay up.

I’m on the journey to loose more, so maybe one new pair of jeans is OK.

11 Likes

lol I bought myself three half belts…duh, never thought about making my own! They do keep the pants on, especially jeans that are made with some stretch…they seem to stretch and bag at the waist the most!

Excellent solution!

1 Like

I have never even heard of a half belt! How cool is this!

1 Like

I did a search. Most seem to go from ftont loops around. Either way it’s cool.

1 Like

Clever idea!

We had a mouse in the house a while back. We think we succesfully found his little house because we closed up the hole and haven’t seen him again. But what our little visitor did in the short time he was with us, is that he chewed a hole in the toe of a sock I’d only just knitted and maybe wore two times. And now I’m facing a dilemma: I could fix the little hole. But the sock ended up slightly too big because I’d accidentally grabbed the wrong sock needles from my set and knitted them with needles one size too big. Maybe… I should just completely frog them and knit them again?

5 Likes

I have one sock that I did the exact same thing…used the wrong size! It has been sitting in a drawer for three years. I am going to frog it and reknit it…I have decided to frog a few items I have made since I didn’t like the pattern or the shape or the size…but I still like the yarn!

3 Likes

I’ve frogged both socks! They were just slightly too big, still comfortable for on the sofa, but as I needed to mend one anyway I figured I could just as well knit them again in the right size.

Plus, I didn’t feel like mending today :laughing:

5 Likes

Extra bonus: the yarn and fun lasts longer if you rip it back a lot :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

Someone posted a video of how to hem jeans while keeping the original hem. I filed it away in my YouTube files and forgot about it…until now…

I have lost some weight so a lot of my tops now have sleeves that are way too long for me. I put off hemming them because many had cuffs…I didn’t want to have to undo them or just roll them up and create bulk. This video worked perfectly! So far, I have only done my pajama tops (4 of them)…they went quickly!

How to hem keeping original seams

7 Likes

It’s cold, and all my wrist warmers are downstairs. I finally fixed my favourites:

Perhaps not the neatest mend, but it works! It’s a mix of actual knitting, fixing stitches with a crochet hooks, duplicate stitch and kitchener stitch. It’s supposed to be all garter stitch there, but I think I accidentally added a row of stockinette.

I bought these many years ago, and I’m pleased I finally have the skill to fix it. Also the bravery and cold hands giving me some motivation to try.

10 Likes

Forgot to quote the November prompt… I’m thinking about felting a cardigan that has definitely passed its prime, and also is a tad bit small.

4 Likes

I need to fix more holes in some sweaters I’m going to sacrifice another sweater for patches.

4 Likes

I was moving the mending mountain in the diningroom to make way for thanksgiving and noticed my special sweater has another hole in it that I didn’t notice before. I’ll have to give it special attention next weekend. I’m still working out how visible I want the mends to be on that project.

2 Likes

When wearing the cosy and newly mended fingerless mittens I discovered a hole in the other one. Mended it. Discovered a second hole while weaving the ends in. Mended it.

Guess what? Found a third one :laughing: I ran out of my pre cut yarn after the third mend, so when I found a fourth one I saved it for today. The mends are getting prettier and prettier, so there’s that!

8 Likes