2022 Mend and maintain-along

Ready for a sustainable new year? It’s fun to make or buy something new, but in order to preserve resources we need to take care of what we already have. Make each item or garment last, and be ready to care for it during its entire ”lifetime”.

Also, mending can be fun, I promise!

Sure, it might seem a bit bonkers to spend time and effort mending storebought items that are easy and cheap to replace. However, while fast fashion is cheap it is not sustainable.

But never fear, no one is going to force you to mend storebought socks. You’re just as welcome here if you’d prefer to put your effort into caring for your own lovingly crafted items.

No matter your level of skill or ambition you are welcome to the craft along!

15 Likes

Links and resources

theorispresent https://instagram.com/theorispresent?igshid=g7ywu4s3sj7y
If you have ever wondered where all those second hand clothed go. Sadly, some of it might end up on a beach or landfill in Ghana.

ajabarber https://instagram.com/ajabarber?igshid=3w04ajglb13y
Writes about sustainable fashion, and on her Patreon she also helps people buy better. A lot of inspiration and food for thought on the instagram too.

Tutorials and inspiration

5 Likes

Monthly challenges

January challenge - New year, new skills
Try something new! Mend in a way you haven’t tried before. Or try something new when maintaining something you already own. Find a tutorial and try it out!

February challenge - Visible mending
Sashiko? Embroidery? Kintsugi? Big happy patch in a contrasting color? Make the mend the focal point.

March challenge - Pretty up the leftovers
Raid the fridge or your craft stash and make something awesome from leftovers.

April challenge - Maintain what you have
Take care of what you have before there is a problem. Wash your clothes before putting them away. Freshen up your furniture. Give your wooden utensils some love. Take care of that stain before it becomes permanent. (Or just embroider something fun over it, I’m not the boss of you.) Whatever needs some extra love and care right now.

May challenge - Face your old nemesis
You know that one item that’s been sitting in the mending pile for ages. Yes that one. Go deal with it!

June challenge - Share your skills
Share the link to your favourite tutorial OR create your own mending tutorial for Lettucecraft.

August challenge - Back to school/work
Do you need a new whatsit or could you mend or spruce up something you’ve already got?

September challenge - Make a plan
Sort the mending pile/basket/what have you and try to decide on an order to do things in. What would you like to have mended first? What can wait? Are there items you can fix at the same time?

October challenge - 10 minute challenge
It literally would take you 10 minutes to fix, at the most. So why has it been sitting in the “to be dealt with”-pile for mumble mumble months/years/decades? Do the thing!

November challenge - Beyond fixing?
Sometimes it’s not possible to mend, but try to turn it into something useful. Can you use it to mend something else? And if it’s truly reached the end of its lifespan it’s perfectly ok to toss, or recycle if that’s an option.

December challenge - Festive mending
Decorate the mending pile with tinsel, do some holiday inspired mending, or something completely different?

7 Likes

You are so inspiring with these mends, I really appreciate how you share your work and skills here. Thanks for the support and inspiration!

4 Likes

bookmarked to follow along :smiley:

2 Likes

I did the January prompt not even knowing what it was! I did some visible mending for the first time during my local virtual craft meetup this morning

The hole was big enough to stick my fingertip in and it was right in the front of a shirt that wasn’t that old.

12 Likes

Nice! Good save for that shirt.

1 Like

I also tried something new the other day. I’ve been wearing my Fallout Christmas sweater as often as possible in December and one cuff was starting to fray a little. I wasn’t sure how to mend it but luckily a question about a similar mend popped up in a Swedish knitting group I’m in. One of the answers linked to this tutorial:

Perfect! I read it through for inspiration, even if my cuff wasn’t that badly worn away.

I started side to side, and then started the weaving from the middle in order to be able to even things out as needed.

All done, with som improvised stitching along the edge of the new cuff since I obviously wear it a lot in that spot. I didn’t have a dark blue acrylic yarn so I picked a blue that was fairly close to one pattern colour.

12 Likes

UGH! THAT CUFF! it’s freaking fantastic!

is it sad i’m waiting for one of my cuffs to wear out so i can do the same?? WHY ARE YOU STILL WHOLE, ALL MY CUFFS???

6 Likes

I love the exuberance of this response. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

:grin:

I know, that was a lot of shoutiness. But I really love visible mending. And I have a thing for long sleeves. And contrast colors??? Whooo -wheee. All my synapses were firing!

2 Likes

I love it. I think the world needs a lot more happy shoutiness. Keep on keeping on!

I also love the visible mends. I am basically here to ogle them more than mend my own shtuff. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Saw this meme today…

15 Likes

I just inhaled so deep, I’m thankful my tongue is attached!! That’s brilliant! And I don’t wear those socks because they’re itchy (to me).

I have got to have something with a hole in it!

4 Likes

Ok, so this is brilliant! For some reason I seem to go through socks like mad and this is a great reuse option.

5 Likes

I’m going to the snowy mountainous BC interior tomorrow & found an excellent McKinley coat at the thrift store that is just perfect. The elastic cord had come out of the hood & the bead was lost, easy fix! There’s an oil stain on one pocket but otherwise it is mended as good as new. Score!

11 Likes

Great find!

1 Like

There is a special satisfaction of getting a great find and putting a great item back to use, because you knew how to fix it when someone else didn’t.

3 Likes

I’ve been wearing that super warm coat here in the snowy mountains, it’s great!
Today my sister gave me this fantastic charcoal merino cardi that had some separation at the back collar. You can barely make out the fix around the right shoulder seam. Good as new & keeping me toasty.

10 Likes

Today i reduced the mend pile by 5 items I knew I couldn’t handle on my own. I’m “supporting the local economy” right, right?

7 Likes