2022 Mend and maintain-along

I have a travel embroidery project planned! I’ll fill it up with stuff this week.

1 Like

Not sure how well this fits this thread, but I did kind of mend/maintain one of Delia’s beds, but taking apart another dog cushion to use it’s foam. I cut it into an oval, covered it with a rubber lined fabric and an upholstery fabric to go into a bed where the center cushion had gone flat. It’s her fireside bed. I will try to get a pic when the photo upload issue gets fixed.

8 Likes

I’m on vacation, but I brought a project and my mending pile. My in-laws are triggering my anxiety hard, so all I’ve really done is some rage cleaning (they’re going to be selling their vacation home and won’t hire cleaners and can’t manage it themselves) and angry mending. But, I’ve repaired the knees on two pairs of kiddo’s sweatpants. I also deep-cleaned some doors, doorways, walls, baseboards, appliances, and switch plates. Tonight, I’m secretly sanitizing the kitchen after everyone is in bed (there was a raw chicken incident that won’t be mentioned - it wasn’t me - and I don’t need anyone coming down with salmonella). :flushed::person_facepalming::crazy_face::person_shrugging:

8 Likes

Oh, dear! Not every trip is a vacation, right? UGH. Good for you for turning your rage to your mending pile! I hope you’re almost done with “vacation.”

3 Likes

That’s the worst of it…it was supposed to be a vacation. They only decided last week that they were going to be selling the place two weeks after we leave. Instead of vacation and a nice visit, they’re packing and trying to use up whatever is in the pantry. I just feel obligated to help when I would much rather be at the beach with my kids.

My kiddo asked for flowers on the knee of his sweatpants. So cute, can’t wait to share a picture. I want to mend all the things in this fashion.

6 Likes

That’s an ugly ambush. I’m feeling a little rage on your behalf.

Can’t wait to see those floral knees!

5 Likes

What a crappy thing to do! I say, take your mending to the beach & ditch them for a bit. Even if you’re helping fix their bad planning, you deserve sanity breaks. :green_heart:

4 Likes

/\ seconded! You’ll never regret that kid time on the beach but you’ll likely resent the rest of this for life. Take the sting out with some relaxed fun-time with your fam.

3 Likes

Still no picture postimg, so you’ll have to imagine my freshly mended sock heels. Or check it out on Instagram I guess. I tried out the new mending mushroom I got for my birthday.

I even did the second sock that didn’t have a hole (yet). There’s a thin patch under the heel on both socks too, but I’ll deal with that once I have to :laughing:

Tomorrow I’ll try to fix my work out sweatpants. They’re a tad too long so one leg is worn where I’ve stepped on it. I’ll either shorten and hem them or sew in some elastic, not sure yet.

9 Likes

Looks great!
I’ve been collecting items to add to the pile but not working any of them out. It’s getting a bit ridiculous next to my handiwork chair so I better make some real effort there soon!

5 Likes

I made a stop gap mend to my Porter wallet. Stoked

4 Likes

Update on my ‘vacation:’ MIL gave herself something between the chicken and the sprouting potatoes. She’s been chugging the anti-diarrheal meds all week. I did sanitize the kitchen, so we all escaped. Had to give up our beach day to help them run errands. And she hid all the Kleenex last night, despite my kids being in the midst of a seasonal allergy attack. My life is a weird sitcom. So glad to be on our way home…to a fridge I’ll need to empty after our power went out for the day. Guys… vacation should be relaxing, right?! :joy::joy::sob:

Craft-related news, I’m a few hundred yards into a cute shawl and I managed to mend two pairs of sweatpants.

8 Likes

My porter wallet mend… Simple blanket stitch to keep it from unravelling until i can get to Japan again to buy a new one. (Yes, I can buy a new one online but it isn’t the same).

6 Likes

Ohmyword.

Glad you’re on the way home but, c’monnnn, Universe! A power outage food fiasco!?
That’s just rude.
You are gonna find your usual daily grind so relaxing after this!

3 Likes

I think you’re definitely on to something there! Home, sweet home. :heart:

4 Likes

Here are the knees I patched up. I used a bit of material from a pair of sweats that were beyond patching to reinforce the mend.

12 Likes

I am always so impressed with everyone’s mending! Someday I will come scroll for inspiration with the intent to finally mend a blanket that’s been on my pile for… years and years.

I don’t have pics, but I did more of a maintain with some metal shelving in our shop. It was here when we moved in and not really “installed” correctly so I thought it had actually buckled, perhaps beyond repair. But sometime last month I looked closely enough at where the standards had bend to see that it was actually two pieces that had just swiveled a bit on the bolts! I cleared and disassembled them to move for new, gifted, gorilla racks. Then over the last few days have thoroughly cleaned and reassembled them in a new spot where I will install them securely against a wall and store lighter weight things!

7 Likes

Cute!

2 Likes

Here’s the finished pair from the other day. Reading back I see I forgot all about those sweatpants. Maybe this weekend…

My next mission is to find something larger than my biggest mending mushroom so I can weave a bigger darn on yet another sock. Good thing I enjoy darning my socks (and admiring my heels when I wear the socks later)

8 Likes

I have a sweater needing a mend and I want to do something funky but the hole falls on the bottom hem, front and center, so it would be a bit… “hey! Look at my crotch!!” which really isnt a look i go for so I’m giving a think in it.

4 Likes