2022 Mend and maintain-along

I just compared him to pictures you posted earlier and I can confirm he still looks like himself! Just looks like he had a couple of good dinners.

6 Likes

He’s so spiffy now! You did an awesome job. He sure is loved. :two_hearts:

2 Likes

Thank you!
She was so happy to see him back. I dressed him in the clothes she likes him to wear and he was placed in her doll carriage for her to find this morning. They’ve been inseparable ever since:

13 Likes

I love the bear repair! I have a very worn bear that I wouldn’t know where to start with. The poor thing is bald here and there :laughing:

This is my current project:

I wear down the back of my trousers, and it’s usually worse on one of the sides since my legs aren’t the same length. This method works reasonably well. I cut away the worst of the fraying and reinforce. I had already cut the hanging threads in the picture above.

I only did the worst leg… The other is starting to look a bit dodgy, but will have to hold up a bit longer. I wanted to pack these for my vacation so only fixed them to be presentable/useable. Preventive mending was not on the agenda today,

5 Likes

Oh, and before I forget! August challenge:

Husband polished my nice shoes yesterday. What a difference it makes. I’ll look sharp on my vacation, but they’ll look good at work after that too.

5 Likes

He looks so good!

What kind of thread and needle did you use for sewing? I have a few stuffed animals that have some seams ripping and every time I sew them back together with regular sewing thread the hole comes back in a few weeks. Any other tips?

Thank you!!
I dont, I sort of just winged it based on some blogs I stumbled onto. I did notice that Old Bear has some seams sewn with what looks mind of like plastic fishing wire so maybe there’s a special thread out there? @AIMR and @Magpie might have some real tips.

1 Like

You did a lovingly good job with old bear, he’s got many more years to be cherished by young miss now. Love the nose!

Lots of commercially made toys are sewn with fine mylar, it doesn’t wear out like thread. I just mend with regular sewing thread myself.

1 Like

Sometimes the fabric is just old and about to crumble. I have used iron on interfacing on seams or even iron on binding before sewing to beef up the area. My hubby asked me to repair a hat of his years ago and I swear, there is almost no fabric left. If something is used a lot, there is not a lot you can do to preserve natural fibers from sun, wind, air, bacteria, water, etc. It will wear out/rot.

I have a spool of nylon thread but rarely use it because it does tear the sewing holes and shreds the fabric faster than regular thread.

1 Like

I think you’re right that it’s the fabric that is giving way not the thread itself. Adding some interfacing to it is a good idea.

1 Like

That’s what I haphazardly did inside OB’s face. I don’t “really know how” to sew so I didn’t want to completely deconstruct him and sew him back up properly so i opened his top seam from ear to ear and tried my best to smoothly shove some cut- to- face- sized interfacing inside then ironed over a towel to try not to eff up his eyes.

6 Likes

I just did something I put off for ages… I ordered new bag handles for my knitting bag. One of the handles had cracked some time ago and the other one looks like it’s on it’s last legs too. I’ve been looking for them but I couldn’t find them anywhere in brick-and-mortar shops. I wanted to buy some bag handles for a different project online and then suddenly found the right type of handles for this bag, too. .

I inherited the knitting bag from my grandma. The bag itself is an orange and brown floral print with brown handles, so it’s clear from which decade it is. My grandma died more than 20 years ago and I’ve used it ever since. The fabric seems to hold up well, I guess it helps that it’s all quilted. Honestly, that grandma wasn’t nice, so there’s not a ton of sentimental feelings attached to this bag. It’s just a very sturdy practical bag.

7 Likes

-sigh- I really love my flowy, comfy, viscose trousers. However, what makes the fabric so thin and comfy also makes it kind of crap quality. It has at least 3 holes or thin patches, and I have no idea if I can fix it without damaging the fabric further.

Anyone have had any luck mending flimsy fabric?

2 Likes

Not really, honestly :frowning_face: I always manage to increase the damage rather than fix thin fabric.

Same here…it loses its flow…and you can often spot the repair on thinner fabric a lot easier…but, when shredded, they make for nice ribbons and trim for other projects…sort of like sari yarn!

2 Likes

I didn’t take a picture, but the seam on a (fairly new) bath towel came loose in the washing machine. I happened to have matching thread so I just sewed it back in place.

These type of quick fixes take minutes but now the towel looks as good as new. These simple fixes usually pile up for me because I can’t be bothered to set up the machine for something like this, but I’m always glad when I’m done.

5 Likes

My mending pile is full of these kinds of mends.

3 Likes

Hey, I actually have a back-to-school fix-it-up project for the august theme!

I’m adding Legend of Zelda themed bits of machine embroidery to my child’s backpack from last year (which is still in beautiful condition) so that she won’t make me get her a new one.

7 Likes

I’ve been going through our clothes and linen cupboard to double check what needs to be repaired or replaced before winter. I try to keep up with that throughout the year and don’t put things back in the cupboard when they aren’t wearable, but sometimes you’re in a hurry and don’t pay attention.

I washed my old Eastpak backpack that I take to sewing lessons, and there are a few holes in the bottom. I think I’m going to take it to the shoe repair shop around the corner to see what they can do. I’m hoping they can sew a letter bottom onto the existing backpack. If not I’ll have to come up with a plan of my own. The backpack is 10+ years old but except for the bottom it still looks fine.

I did decide to replace some sheets and towels, I’ve been mending them over and over but the fabric is just worn out in some places. I’ll keep the sheets to use them as a base for denim quilts, 75% of the sheet is still in good shape.

6 Likes

I guess I’ll wear them until they fall apart a bit more, and then see how I can use the remaining material!

2 Likes