2023 DeStash-Along

Oh no, what a bummer. Can it be skeined and washed? It’s worth a shot, if the alternative is tossing it anyhow. Like, maybe wind it around a towel and put that bundle into a garment bag, then wash on gentle. Slip it off the towel and hang to dry…

1 Like

Definitely easy to clean the skein…just don’t agitate it unless it is superwash…soak, squeeze, towel dry, air dry…good as new…just hope there are no surprise chews…you might want to wind the skeins into balls to double check…store all yarns in ziplocks with a piece of bay leaf as well…

2 Likes

Thanks guys.

I may have to admit that I’ve not got the bandwidth to do all that. Ugh. Effing mice!

This is NOT how I want to destash!

Let this be a lesson to us all: that yarn was pulled aside to be the Christmas Countdown project I never got to. Don’t procrastinate! Especially if your dog seems to be making tiny friends!

5 Likes

First doll dress of the new year sewn! I just needed to cross the actually-starting hurdle.

Fabric is a vintage cut given to me by a friend of my upstairs neighbor. Somehow once word gets out that you sew people just start giving you things, and thus the stash keeps growing.

10 Likes

Perfect way to start!

1 Like

Finished 6 gift bags all out of stash!

See the project post here for more details.

I could easily keep going, but I feel like moving on to new things instead. I did buy some new yarn today but it is for a specific project, which I’ll probably cast on next. I’m also overdyeing some stash yarn to use in a future project, so that’ll be a stashbuster too.

12 Likes

I’m gathering bits for a spirit doll class and am fighting the ‘let others use this stuff’ vs 'it’s mine! I’ll use it someday ’ in my head. Vintage lace, fabric, odd yarn stash. So I am letting go. It’s been sitting there for years and depending on the craft, I do use it. Spirit dolls, prayer flags, master board fabric. I love having these odd bits on hand, but they take up so much space.
Spirit doll in process so can document the steps

And my thread stash. I keep the long threads off of torn to strips fabric for when I make art quilt squares or master panels.

14 Likes

I wish I could attend your class…

3 Likes

Oh my gosh, me too!

1 Like

The struggle is real! I was able to do the former when my MIL visited in November and we made shaker cards which made me proud of myself, but still doesn’t sit totally easy. :grimacing: :laughing:

5 Likes

lol when @magpie visited me way back when, she needed some green yarn…I had loads of little balls of leftovers sitting in a barrel jar…my tummy was fluttering when she started picking out the ones she could use…yes, the struggle is real…even knowing she would use it and I wouldn’t, I felt odd for weeks, maybe even years later…what is that? Attachment anxiety? It does not make logical sense, but the feelings are valid!

8 Likes

I have papers I have picked with certain people in mind, even without certain projects in mind. She selected a paper that I had picked out with her in mind and no project at all planned, but it made me squicky for a bit. I just convinced myself that THIS is a project for her even if she’s making it.

6 Likes

Will you ever forgive me? It’s all used up!

5 Likes

lol You are one of a handful of people I feel less anxious about sending “supplies”…because I know it will get used! lol It is getting easier and easier to let go!

3 Likes

My yarn stash has built up again. I swear, the yarn fairies must come in the night and add new skeins. I’m in!

3 Likes

How did I end up with so many zippers? I know perfectly well and I stand by methods. However, it was really nice to be able to put to use 5 stash zippers for these feather-proof :crossed_fingers: throw pillow covers. Some of these have been around for at least a decade and were probably vintage when they came into my possesion. Some are only a couple years old.

FeatherProofCushionCovers01-01

10 Likes

I know this is not anyone’s favorite project to do, but it is done and you have taken care of an aggravating problem! Now you can just focus on making fun cushion covers for them whenever the mood strikes!

Good job!

3 Likes

Thank you! I’m have a smug sense of satisfaction for having (hopefully) solved the feather issue! And now that I’ve done 5 of them, doing more for the rest of the feather insert stash won’t be so daunting.

3 Likes

I finished this this morning! WOO! All stash for this project and a couple of things that might have been purchased recently to be considered stash, but I feel like stash prevention counts for “half-points”!

9 Likes

ooh, could you elaborate on “stash prevention” purchases, @TheMistressT ? Is that like when you buy bits and bobs needed to complete a project?

1 Like