2023 DeStash-Along

Awesome destashing!!

1 Like

I made a red ballet shrug for myself and absolutely love it…thanks for reminding me that I can use some stash to make another!

Love that you are using stash…very inspiring to see you knit so many lovely things!

1 Like

Thanks, friends!

1 Like

That’s looking so pretty already.

1 Like

Thanks!

1 Like

I made another dinosaur for my GD out of stash. Didn’t take up much, but no trips to the store!

4 Likes

I had two knitting project “successes” in November. Success in quotes since neither quite fit the way I want so they may be gifted on to others.

The Musselburgh Hat

Thank you for everyone who recommended this pattern - it was exactly what I was looking for. My only problem was it didn’t give me quite the length I usually like in my hats (I need my ears bundled up) and the yarn I chose had more pink in it than I was expecting.

A pair of Everything November Mitts for a knit-along.

I made these while traveling so the gauge is a little small, but I was limited to the two sizes of needles I’d brought with me. The pattern was nice and relaxing and while these mitts turned out a bit snug on me, they’re still very wearable. I’ll probably be making this pattern again.

There’s a little yarn left over from each. I think I’ll use them to make pompom ornaments for the Christmas tree as a way to remember the year’s projects.

6 Likes

Both are lovely!

Do you remember what size needles you used for the mitts? I am having a problem with them being too large!

Pom poms for the tree are a great idea for leftovers!

Oh, no! Have you blocked the hat yet? Mine always grow by about 10-15%.

Honestly, I think 100g is a bare minimum for an adult-sized Musselburgh. I would have to make it tighter than I find comfortable to get enough length, or use larger needles for a fabric that’s less dense. The two I have made for myself, I ended up using 120g so I had a bit of slouch after turning up the brim.

@AIMR I think I used a US 1.5 circular for the mitts? It gave a nice dense fabric.

@Magpie I’ve never actually blocked a hat, so I shall make this my first.

2 Likes

December Themes

Imgur
Color: Your Favorite (whatever that may be)
Pattern: Winter or the Holidays
For: Gift Giving
Challenge: Every crafter is working down to the wire at this time of year. Just keep on trucking!
Bonus Challenge: We made it! A full year of DeStashing! How do you feel? Did you learn anything about yourself, your crafting practices, or supply preference along the way? What do you feel your biggest accomplishment is? How has your stash changed from its starting point way back in January?

2 Likes

I am coming out of lurking to ask a question of our Potter heads. I have some red leather-look vinyl from my gran’s stash that I have been waiting to use for years and I FINALLY got my cousin in the family secret santa.

She loves to travel, so I have been planning a travel wallet for her and found this button (also from my gran’s stash) for the closure.

Does it look like it could be the Gryffindor lion?

2 Likes

At first glance it did but then looking properly at it no- HOWEVER it definitely works for a wizarding world item because it’s like a duck unicorn lion hybrid and that’s got some serious Newt Scamander vibes. You could definitely run with it. Especially on a travel wallet.

2 Likes

I feel “lighter” now that I have removed things out of my crafting room that I know I probably will never make or use. This included a hand held sewing machine that my brother keeps getting me every few Christmases because he sees them on infomercials! I already have three regular sewing machines so the hand held ones are not for me.

I also got rid of some wooden things that I will never paint. Tons of notepads (I am obsesses with them) …empty boxes that will never become shrines…

I am hoping that in December, I will get rid of a lot more fabric and yarn…mostly by making things for a huge charity drive my knitting and sewing groups are doing for January.

4 Likes

Today I destash a loom, weaving tools, so much yarn, wooden lamp bases, etc to my stepmama. The rest of a big truck load will be donated. We’ll finally have our porch back! It’s been crammed with that stuff for weeks now.

6 Likes

It looks like a chimera to me - head of a goat, body of a lion, tail of a dragon/serpent. Either way, I think it definitely has the medieval vibe that HP cultivates and it looks really cool.

4 Likes

I have weeded and consolidated my ribbon and trim down to one box! Honestly I could probably go further but I’m feeling pretty good for right now.

This month’s pile for the creative reuse store grows ever larger.

Edit: also made some major inroads in my scrapbook paper stash. Gathered all the scraps for a coworker who art journals (a yearly ritual for me at this point), cut down sheets for packaging, etc. And now that part of the stash fits back in its allotted space.

9 Likes

@AntBee, @tendstowardschaos - thanks for the input. I have a bunch of different buttons, a knight on a horse a shield, a stag. I will do a selection.

3 Likes

One fewer scrap in the Christmas fabric bucket!

And now for November stats: two skeins of yarn used up in two different projects, 18 dresses sewn consuming .9 yards of fabrics, one roll of washi tape down, and one fewer sheet of stickers in stash. Not too bad for being out of town for half the month!

10 Likes

Those are adorable!