2023 DeStash-Along

At minimum I need to be able to winkle a 10 x 3 (ish) strip for the skirt and a 3.5 X 3 chunk for the bodice out of my Big Scraps, which will make a dress for a 6 inch doll. I do make smaller dresses but they only work in lawn and handkerchief cotton to get any sort of drape at that scale. The Liberty Lawn scraps are hoarded carefully and don’t actually make it into the regular fabric equation.

1 Like

WOW! I am always amazed at your wee creations, but it’s a little mind boggling to see the size of quantified. A 10 x 6.5 counts as big! I LOVE IT!

1 Like

Destashed some flannel pieces from my stash to make additional covers for the window seat my cats use.

They are actually three milk crates used for my work filing…they were jumping up and sleeping on the files, getting cat crud all over the papers…I took a piece of cardboard and made a sort of top and then decided to make a few “covers” to make it more comfortable and cover up the cardboard.

I just used the size flannel I had and made a quilt sandwich. Stitched them with a simple few straight rows. Nothing fancy.

I have three now but I am sure I will need more since they get dirty quite readily.

You can see my cat eagerly waiting for me to stop taking pictures so he can lay on it! And yes, the window is open…it is 77 degrees here.

oh…and it fits the January prompt of rows since all the quilting is in rows!

10 Likes

A perfect solution to the Feline Royalty’s decision to sleep there!

3 Likes

The things we do for them, right? :rofl:

2 Likes

I destashed a bunch of beads for these necklaces! Not enough, but it’s progress.

9 Likes

I made some fleece tied blankets last year to use up my stash & had a box of corner squares leftover, so I sewed them together, stuffed them with catnip, & dropped them off at the local animal shelter with half of the blankets:

The blankets I made last year - half were for my cat & half went to the shelter:

So that’s a bag of blankets & a box of fleece squares out of the house! :grin:

9 Likes

Love the fleece catnip pillows. Quick and easy idea. I’m on it! Our shelter and our cats would live them.

2 Likes

I’m sorely tempted by some yarny January sales. I have no business buying yarn. My embargo stands: no pattern, no buying. So guess who’s been pouring over patterns all night. :joy:

8 Likes

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Where there’s a will, there’s a loophole.

8 Likes

I made a bunch of Valentine’s using all stash this weekend, but haven’t photographed them yet. In fact, two were sealed into envelopes before I remembered about pictures. D’oh!

4 Likes

I succumbed. But(!) what I bought all has desirable patterns chosen or was ordered to allow some other yarn to be used up. So hopefully they’ll be more like “vacationing in the stash” rather than permanent residents haha

5 Likes

Sort of subletting time in the stash. :wink:

3 Likes

They’re there just long enough to get the others on their feet and moving.

I’ve made it just about halfway through my fabric inventory. I still have three drawers, two shoeboxes, and all the fabric that doesn’t have a home. And the Christmas box. So, maybe halfway is being overly optimistic. Sigh…

7 Likes

I ran the numbers for everything I used up last year. I produced 40g of thread ends (which can now be discarded - I don’t even know why I keep track of them), 7 spools of thread, a pack of sewing machine needles, a disappearing ink pen, 1 spool of quarter inch satin ribbon, and 6 rolls of washi tape. If my calculations are right, and I am pretty sure they are not, I also used around 15 yards of fabric, all but three of which would be from stash. However! I am really skeptical about that last stat, honestly, and need to run the math for a second third time.

6 Likes

I’ve been analyzing my yarn stash the last few weeks. There’s not really anything I would like to just be rid of - I want to use it - but, so many things didn’t have an intended project (a lot did at one time, but plans were abandoned). So, I searched Ravelry for patterns to match stash and got almost everything assigned to a pattern, and then queued it all up.

Last night, I cast on a stash-busting throw that should use up a good chunk of my sport weight cottons.

8 Likes

I’m so impressed that you found patterns for all your undeclared yarns! That’s always my downfall. Good for you!

2 Likes

Not all, but most. It might take a couple years to get through it all, though. :joy: Why is yarn soooo pretty?!

5 Likes

What a great idea! I have used Ravelry’s pattern search before for random things, but I know you can put in yardage and type of yarn as well.

I am going to get some large ziplock bags to sort pattern and yarn into kits. It would help when I don’t know what to make. Maybe I will do a few patterns for each yarn…oh boy, a big project for sure!

4 Likes

I love the 2 gallon ziplok bags for projects. I haven’t seen them in a while, but i think i used to get them from staples or the like when I was a production manager.

2 Likes