Sustainable mend and maintain-along ♻️

Hey-ho mending crew! There’s a new badge for the fixers of all things!

Lettuce Craft has six distinct categories for crafting and some of our most adventurous crafters have journeyed onto all of these boards. They are our Crafty Chameleons!

If you have posted 3 or more projects to each of the crafting categories:
Art
Home & Garden
Fashion & Wearables
Fiber & Textiles
Food & Drink
Paper & Vinyl Crafts

Send a message to @ moderators along with the links to your projects to claim your badge and have it activated!

3 Likes

I finally just bit the bullet and brought my 23 year old wool blend sweater to the drycleaners to ger her ready for some ling overdue mending. And in the meantime, another pair of fairy wings needed gluing:

The flower and leaves had come undone and i’m tired of moving it around the dining room to get to other clutter, uh, stuff. Other stuff.

9 Likes

Oops… I forgot about the February challenge, but I did add one for March.

5 Likes

Are you going to try this months challenge?

6 Likes

Yes! I have some projects that as quick to do, I just need to sit down and do them! :smiley:

5 Likes

I totally missed this thread thanks @AntBee For pointing me here. I’ve just made this post on turning a favourite sheet sides to middle.

4 Likes

Not a sexy project, but needing to be done none the less, :joy::

This is a filter bag for my MIL’s pool filter machine. It’s one of those machines that rolls around the bottom of the pool and sucks up debris. When I was at her house a couple of weeks ago, she was commenting about purchasing a new one because the zipper that opens the collection area wouldn’t work anymore. I told her I would try to replace the zipper first.
As it turned out, I didn’t need to replace the zipper. There was some micro sized debris caught in the zipper pull and imbedded in the zipper. A little dishwashing soap cleared that. Then I noticed that the zipper pull slipped off the end. I put some messy but adequate stitches there, and voila, works good as new.

8 Likes

Amazing how sometimes the littlest mend works! I am always shocked at how many people toss things that just need a few stitches or even some good glue!

Good save!!!

4 Likes

My also not-sexy mend of the day:

Do not look too closely, they are horrendously amateur and no, no one is allowed to see the back lol

9 Likes

Ooh, but the I like that the thread matches the burgundy/red color in the plaid. :100:

2 Likes

These look like jeans that people pay a lot of money for new in the store. Your son may start a new fashion trend at the school.

2 Likes

I love the unsexy mends!

2 Likes

Quick and dirty:

I keep ripping this seam when taking this top off. It’s a combination of the seam being the least stretchy part of the knit garment, and me having to pull on the garment in weird ways because of the (lack of) range of motion in my shoulders.

New mend in light grey yarn, and an old one in white thread. After inspecting the seam I had to mend another tiny hole on the other side.

Good to go again! I love this garment to bits. It’s got a really weird fibre blend (viscose, lambs wool, polyamide, cotton, cashmere, angora, and also a silk trim just to go completely over the top), but it’s very comfy and cosy.

8 Likes

Another zipper repair for me this week. This time it’s my husband’s work backpack. This outer pocket is where he prefers to keep his wallet and keys. I thought I might have to replace the zipper, but after inspecting the area, I realized I could just stitch the zipper teeth back on to their cloth base. Yay for me. Only took me 10 min to complete. Now on to the next item.

10 Likes

Not the prettiest of repairs, but enough to save this king size bottom sheet to see a few more nights!

This is toward the bottom of the sheet. I turned it to the top so it will be under the pillow. I have been pretty good at rotating my bottom sheet and the mattress pad to help them wear evenly, but, when sheets are 20 years old, this still happens. I sure got my money’s worth with this set, so I won’t feel badly about recycling the good parts for other things…or maybe even make a couple of extra pillowcases!

I also sewed a seam on my weararoundthehouse hooded sweatshirt while I had the light grey thread on the machine.

Two repairs done!

8 Likes

:seedling: :honeybee: :tulip: :four_leaf_clover: :butterfly: :sun_with_face: :seedling: :honeybee: :tulip: :four_leaf_clover: :butterfly: :sun_with_face: :seedling: :honeybee: :tulip: :four_leaf_clover: :butterfly: :sun_with_face: :seedling: :honeybee: :tulip: :four_leaf_clover: :butterfly: :sun_with_face:

HEY EV-ERY-BODY! It’s time to vote in the Spring Is In The Air Challenge! Get on over there before the poll closes on March 27, 2023!

2 Likes

This video is the best sweater mend I have ever seen.

2 Likes

I would be to scared to pick out the extra stitches like she did. But so insightful.

2 Likes

Grafting is magic… I’ve never tried weaving in ends from the right side like that. I usually just start with a few duplicate stitches, but ripping out a few more stitches to get ends to weave in makes sense!

3 Likes

Not sure if this is where I can ask a question or not, I’m not really a craft person but was hoping someone has dealt with the issue confronting me. I want to glue felt to a hard board. The problem is that the felt will be covered with pinback buttons and will be framed for a wall hanging There will be some weight involved with this project. Being a guy, tried to cut the felt oversized and used a lot of duct tape, which failed after a few months. I have Gorilla Glue and something called Suxun B-7000. I also have a cheap glue gun. Has anyone had any experience with such a project or have an idea which adhesive would work best? I appreciate any help you can provide to me.

2 Likes