2024 DeStash Along

I’m slowly making progress! I’ve been on really strong antibiotics the last week and felt like crud but have been stopping by my craft closet and pulling a few things out here and there. I can actually see part of a shelf now!

4 Likes

I have a hard time focusing on fiction audio books for whatever reason :woman_shrugging: I do listen to a lot of podcasts though…

1 Like

Same, I’ve been listening to the Fellowship of the Ring and it’s delightful. Podcasts are a great standby as well, I’m about to listen to Ologies while I paint some boards (for one of my partner’s projects of course, no progress on mine. Sigh).

2 Likes

Woohoo! I rehomed 7 garbage bags of fabric today, maybe half of what I had.

Months ago, my neighbor Martha had said her niece is a quilter, and would take even the smallest scraps. When I took the bags over there today, Martha said SHE had recently gotten the quilting bug, and was thrilled to get her hands on so much fabric. Yay!

More importantly, I now have so much more storage space! And if I want to make a blue shirt, I don’t have to move 20 small pieces to get to the yardage. It’s like taking off a corset, I can get a deep breath!

13 Likes

Wow, that’s an impressive amount! That’s like a whole closet you have back to yourself! :tada:

3 Likes

A small closet, about 10 cubic feet, maybe.
My storage system is a grid of thirty 12" x12" x12" wire cubes. About 20 were stuffed full of fabric, and now several are empty and others have airspace.

But there’s more to sort through; my goal is to have everything where I can see, reach, and use it.

7 Likes

I love this goal. If i had a designated room for my crafts (or my dream: a craft shed in the yard) that’s how I would want things, too. The dining room is used as such and also holds the crafts so i’m creatively “displaying” and storing to keep the room from being too bogged down visually.

6 Likes

Wow, that’s fantastic!! I’ve been making progress but I haven’t tackled the fabric collection yet - you are a real inspiration!

4 Likes

And that was mostly just the cottons. Upholstery went last week, and synthetics, fur, leather, ribbons, embroidery supplies, zippers, etc are still untouched.

I added a meme to the meme thread…I craft, therefore I hoard.

5 Likes

Hahaha … yep, that’s my Achilles heel too

4 Likes

I am in several swaps right now and have accomplished almost everything entirely from stash. I even used something i have been hoarding for years! I only had to get one small tjing, and i ised most of that up.

8 Likes

Finally made my first set of doll dresses for the year, this time out of a vintage scrap I’d been carefully hoarding for years but wasn’t sure how to cut to make the most effective use of the stripe pattern. I ended up splitting the difference and ended up with two cute but different arrangements of the motif.

14 Likes

February

Flora Brooch by Madelinetosh, on Flickr

Color: Pink
Pattern: Spots
For: A loved one
Challenge1: What item has been in your stash the longest? Make something with it!
Challenge 2: Choose an amount of time that seems reasonable to you and spend it organizing your stash or craft space. Nothing overwhelming, just enough to make things a little bit better (by whatever you define as better). Feel free to share the before & after here.

9 Likes

This is such a great example of how fabric placement can change a project! Both are super cute, but the first one is my favorite.

Man. This is a great question. :thinking: If I can figure out what it is I will absolutely do something with it asap!

4 Likes

These are adorable!

ooooh good question…

I am well into challenge 2, and may have just finished challenge 1 without even knowing about it!
I’ve had this tiny saddle for at least 20 years; it survived two major moves AND my current Purgeageddon. I may have something older on hand, but probably not by much.

Thinning out my stash makes me want to USE the favorite pieces I’ve hoarded so long.
And it makes it easy to put away leftovers, too.

11 Likes

Longest is probably some bits of fabric. I have a rust indian pattern on white that I’ve had since high school. It’s over 50 now.

I’ve been procrasticrafting. Making quilt blocks, little house projects and furniture rearranging to avoid destashing and organizing the craft room and storage area. Most the work has been from stashn so that’s a win.

8 Likes

Last weekend, I used some stash fabric I have been hoarding forever. It was perfect for the project, and I love how it turned out. But I have already been online trying to find more of that fabric. Nope, it’s gone, which is fine. If I had found it, I would have just bought it to put back in my stash. I found the perfect project, and it still wasn’t enough. It’s the color. I love that fabric. Ha! Anyway, it will go to a great home, and I am sure they will love it too, and in ten to fifteen years, I will not even think about it again. :rofl: :joy:

9 Likes