2024 DeStash Along

I just made some microwave safe bowl holders out of some scraps of cotton yarn. Not the prettiest things but useful!

4 Likes

I pretty much used all of mine up to make baskets. You can combine them with some other scrap yarns to make them more colorful.

@Immaculata --such a great plan! I am going to do that…put together the sock yarns into scrappy sock type projects…and mostly, just to use up the other stuff or just let it go!

5 Likes

I forgot about baskets. I’ve done that, too. I think i’m in one of those “without a recipient it’s hard to settle” moods.

I have a fair amount of acrylics. If I wasn’t literally looking at 6 blankets in this livingroom right now i’d be more motivated to make a random one just for kicks :laughing:

My husband did ask me once to knit him a yarmulke, how would cotton do there? Lol

4 Likes

My husband prefers that I crochet his hats in cotton…they stretch out terribly, but they seem to shrink back when he washes and dries them…

4 Likes

@AntBee yarnies I saw today. The ball box would be SO CUTE bigger.

11 Likes

I accidentally did the total opposite of de-stashing by answering a “free yarn” post. :scream:

My intentions were good, the picture didn’t look like 2 bin bags full of yarn and I thought I’d give some to my mum’s friend. She doesn’t need / want any. So, I thought I’d offer some to another friend - same response.

I have yet to try a couple of other local friends before organising this yarn barf into something that’s de-stashable. (Yes, I have emptied the bags onto the floor and am surrounded by yarn)

I would like to keep some … but I am not a fast knitter or crocheter so some will have to find new homes. Once I’ve been through it all and worked out whether I can make a project, I will re-list it on the same craft group

9 Likes

I bought a sewing basket I don’t need at an estate sale. Full of supplies I probably won’t use. Except a cute pattern! And a pair of pinking shears. All for $5.

7 Likes

Ah yes, that’s exactly how it goes. I stopped by a thrift store for a couple of t shirts to continue my t shirt rag rug, and managed to make it out with only a few yards of cotton fabric, some aida, a new pack of notecard envelopes, a pack of washable pattern markers, and a couple of pairs of pants and a sweater in addition to the shirts. But it was only $15 for everything and the t shirts were free!

5 Likes

An acquaintance dropped off 4 large shopping bags of craft items and fabric for our church fair in Nov. Turns out that it is mostly fabric remnants and just one small grocery bag of saleable items. He needed the bags back so I upended it in the middle of the floor and then left for a weekend trip.

Finally got it sorted and what did my brain do? Oh that pile could make a quilt. So can that one. Oh I can use that to make stuff for the cats.

I’m hopeless. But I love me. :heart:

10 Likes

I love this whole group…my people ,who understand the struggle is real and probably meant to be… :heart:

I feel like I am in a group that will never find a “cure”…we destash, relapse, destash, relapse…

Anyone else feel like the poor fellow pushing the wheel up the hill over and over and over? (well, actually, I don’t…I sort of love this about me and most of you… :joy:)

9 Likes

I may or may not have accidentally acquired not one, but two die-cutting machines over the weekend … both are used and they should both arrive tomorrow. And at least one of the two senders said they threw in a bunch of extra supplies they didn’t need anymore … :laughing: I bought that one on our local alternative to Craigslist, from a lady who can’t use her Sizzix Big Shot anymore due to disability, but then during the weekend someone from my hometown also reached out with a big red Sizzix Original they needed to get rid of. Both come with a lot of dies as well.

I was originally looking for a cutting machine because I want to use up paper stash by making cards and my hand cutting skills are terrible (and haven’t improved over the years). I just wanted something to cut aperture cards… Two Sizzix machines is probably overkill, but I figured, I’ll just keep the one I like most.

My stash actually is fairly small compared to many other people, but somehow it seems it doesn’t decrease over time. Even though I buy relatively few craft supplies, things just seem to find their way into my room and I suppose they breed there?

8 Likes

Just finished assembling this quilt from stash plus a jelly roll. I’ll add borders and finish off. Then donate. The lower right leaf economy block was from fabric from that recent stash dump.

14 Likes

That’s so earthy & pretty. I love browns with warm tones. Very nice!

1 Like

I’m curious if people consider crafting tools as stash? I just bought a set of interchangeable shortie needles for a current project. Of course, in waiting for them to be delivered, I made do with the current needles I have that sort of work (?) which rendered the purchase unnecessary in the end. I don’t regret the purchase per say, but definitely didn’t need them after all.

5 Likes

I don’t consider tools stash. I feel like stash is the consumable stuff one uses up as they craft. I do thing sometimes I have to declutter tools and things, but under a different line item.

3 Likes

Heck no. Tools are tools, you don’t use ‘em up.

4 Likes

Agree, I don’t consider tools as stash. Too many tools and books can lead to clutter though so I’m counting them in my “destashing” effort. For me destashing is just about parting with things that I no longer want to use so I can make room for the things I do.

I’ve been doing really good about destashing and now I have a big DickBlick order coming later this week with supplies for my spring classes and I’m excited. And since I did some destashing earlier, I’ll actually have room for them!

4 Likes

I don’t consider tools stash, just things that need to be purged periodically or replaced for better quality.

Stash to me are things that are needed to produce a product–yarn, beads, fabric, ribbon, etc. Tools are the implements that help you use up stash.

3 Likes

Someone at one of my knit guild meetings knew I crocheted so she slipped this into my bag because she felt crocheters combine yarns better… :laughing:

She might be right…I found two leftover skeins in my stash and thought they would go well together:

Using inspiration from @immaculata’s blanket post, I am making a simple blanket for my great niece.

I am also giving away a bunch of small leftovers to a fellow LCer!

A tiny destash victory!

10 Likes

Nice!!!

1 Like