3D Posable Art Dolls Swap Idea - Roughly March/April

I’ve been working on developing my own patterns for posable fabric dolls recently, and reading a tooooon of doll-making books, and it got me thinking that I’ve really missed doing posable doll swaps. I think the last ones were on the old site-that-shall-not-be-named. I remember loving being part of the “Art Doll Swap” (my first big swap there) and the “Craft a C-ster Friend Doll Swap,” where you actually made a doll that looked like (or was at least heavily inspired by) your partner.

I have never actually run a swap before, although I have participated in many, and I think this would be an awesome one to start with, since it’s something very personally exciting.

Types of Poseable Dolls
-Sewn (fabric, felt, multimedia)
-Knitted/Crocheted (usually called amigurumi, but can be super complex)
-Needle-felted (with attached jointed limbs and such)
-Sculpted in various mediums with jointing systems (clays, wood, glue/pulp, etc.)
-What else?

Themes to Inspire
-A mini-me doll that looks like you or your child
-A doll of a favorite book or comic/manga or movie character
-A doll of an original character you describe
-A traditional-style “rag” doll
-A doll inspired by the traditional garments of various cultures around the world
-A doll inspired by other art dolls or art prints you’ve seen (although it’s not generally considered appropriate to fully copy someone else’s work for distribution; it’s kind of a murky area I’d prefer to avoid)
-A doll inspired by an idea or something you love, like “space,” or “forest spirits,” or “birds of prey,” or meteorology," etc.
-A doll created from a particular pattern (free ones only, though), such as the ever-popular Poppets by Ghilie (if you know, you know)
-And so on!

I’m thinking ~2 week sign-up time, with a ~2 month crafting time, since I think a posable doll with an outfit is definitely a Very Large. :slight_smile:

So, who would be interested in joining a swap like this? :two_hearts:

5 Likes

…probably… :eyes:

2 Likes

Art dolls sound super cool, but doubt the timing will work for me. Have some major commitments that will probably conflict. Can’t wait to watch the fun, though!

2 Likes

I’m potentially open to some alternative timing, this is just the earliest I could lead a swap.

1 Like

I might be down.

3 Likes

Sounds fun and challenging. I’m up for it.

3 Likes

Hmmmm. This might be hard to pass up.

1 Like

Soooo, my life kind of fell apart there for a little bit. Trying to ease back into things, but while I still want to do this some time this year, it’s definitely not going to be the in the next couple of months, while I deal with some solid in-person life needs. :two_hearts::cherry_blossom:

4 Likes

I think a bunch of that has been happening. Good luck with your life stuff!

3 Likes

Hope things settle down for you soon! I get it; things have been crazy around here, too.

Here’s hoping that you do the doll swap eventually; it sounds like such a cool idea. Hoping my schedule will be clearer when it comes around.

2 Likes

I think life is crazy for a lot of people right now. I think this would be really cute and fun to do, but I need to recover from my latest frenzy of swaps right now. Later on, I would love to join. Take your time. there is no rush. Do this when it is convenient for you. We will be here.

3 Likes