3D printer

200°, 2mm on that print

Maybe you’ve got an opinion on this…
I printed this the other day, and it looks like the print shifted 1/4" to one side AND skipped about 1/4" vertically.

When I open the file in Cura, it looks fine. The printer wasn’t disturbed while printing.
Any ideas?

He was printed in several pieces side by side; you can see the shift at his left hip, and most of his head is missing (I sculpted the replacement in picture).

try a raft, just type raft in the setting screen. It will give you more adhesion to the plate.

1 Like

You think it shifted? It was quite well adhered.

it does look like the leg was built and something happened. Maybe it stuck?

You can go into cura and watch the build happen too. That sometimes help to see what is going on.

1 Like

Good idea, I’ll check it out

Success!

I started with a photo of an antique Chinese Chippendale chair, and turned it into 3D printed doll furniture!

I plan to add an upholstered seat, so didn’t include one in the print.

Here’s a 5.5" doll to show the size. 4.25"/111mm tall.

It took me two weeks of struggling to figure out the design software, then watched a couple of tutorials and redesigned the whole chair in a few hours. Oh, that’s how it works!
Thanks, YouTube!

I expect to be embarrassed by the crudeness of the design when I get better at this, but it’s beautiful now!

4 Likes

Awesome!!! Go you!

1 Like

Similar problems showed up in everything I printed. There’s something wrong with my Z axis screw that messes up between 2mm and 6mm on every print. I can’t see anything wrong with the screw, but when I rotated it 180° (turned it upside down), the problem cleared up.

It’s so well done !

1 Like

Sometimes, I totally forget about my 3D printers. We’re building hydroponic towers for the school and getting the parts I needed was proving difficult. Suddenly it hit me “just print everything you need!”. So I’m printing all of the cups right now.

I’ll create a thread later to show the progress.

2 Likes

My husband lost a propeller for a toy drone, and jokingly asked if I could print a new one. I believe I saw propellers in Tinkercad; I might have to replace all 4 so it balances.

Hey techy geniuses, anybody have experience with resin printing? Teenmanboy bought these 2nds online, printed with an Elegoo Saturn.

He’s keen to make some custom Bionicle parts, particularly this transparent mask that’s selling for nearly $400 (OMG!). Resin can be printed clear, then we could experiment with inks, RIT dyes, etc to get some fun colours.

1 Like

Are you open to trying out other methods besides 3D printing? Vacuum forming is also an option for making thin, transparent items. It might be a bit tricky with the small scale and level of detail, but could be fun to try as well :grin:

This channel has a tutorials for making a small and large vacuum forming machine, and they do some videos showing some materials tests and a large forming and dyeing of a life-size transparent visor for a helmet.

2 Likes

That’s really, really cool. I can see so many projects for such a thing. It might not work for these vintage lego guys though, the pieces are all quite sturdy & snap together.
Vacuum forming box is now on my list of must do projects though so thanks for that :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Yep, I have a resin printer at school and they’re great. They’re coming down in price now, which is nice. What’s the question - do you want some printed? I could do that if you have files.

You are so kind to offer, that’s amazing :kissing_heart:.
He really wants the transparent mask I linked to above that’s selling for nearly 400USD. I told him I didn’t think it was a super fantastic investment if he wants to have it to build custom bionicles for photos & stop motion because yikes, old plastic can snap so easy.
He says he has an stl file for it, I’m not so techy, is that usable?

Yep, an stl is all I need! And maybe a dimension so I can double check.

For all you 3D printer owners - how do you ventilate to get rid of the fumes?

I only use PLA filament, which is made from corn. There is no smell to me–though some people say it has a faint hot glue smell–and it is reportedly safe. I don’t vent for this (if I paint something with nail polish, on the other hand, I have to put it outside!)

Other types of filament may smell, and may need some venting. ABS has that reputation.
I don’t know if the resin printers need ventilation.

Thank you!