3D Quilt Gift Box

I love this! I wish I was this good with cardstock.

1 Like

Thanks so much!

1 Like

Wow! As a quilter, you got me with your little tied threads!

It is gorgeous and the box will definitely be used to perhaps house quilting scraps or supplies!

1 Like

Thank you!

I know this is an old post, but are you asking if you can create your own cutting files? Think of it this way–a paper cutter is a just tool that helps you cut faster and better. So whatever thing you can envision, you can make a file to cut it. (I make most of my own files, btw. I design in CorelDraw).

2 Likes

There are many SVG files available for laser cutting (and I have the option to create them in Tinkercad) and I wondered if they would work in a paper cutting machine as well.

Oh, different question! I’d be interested in the OPPOSITE question–can you use papercutting files with a laser cutter? I have tons of experience with the former, and none with the latter.

I have to think that laser cutters would require more space between elements, because you need a thicker burn line than you would knife line? Or maybe not?

But a vector file is a vector file. Any line based cutting file will CUT on a paper/vinyl machine. Whether it works as a project or not is another matter.

1 Like

I think they would work to direct the machine to use whatever tool is loaded to work on whatever medium was put through it, provided the file’s directions were compatible with the particular machine. For instance if the laser directions would tell the Cricut to use the blade to cut the outside where the laser would cut all the way through and tell the pen to draw where the lazer would have only burned a design.

2 Likes

I agree, Tara. I color code my lines for cut or pen or score so the right lines go to the right tool.

2 Likes

I have successfully refashioned woodworking files to make paper items. I like to make sliceforms and there are some interesting wood designs out there. Obviously, the slot widths have to be changed for cardstock :slight_smile: if the design is meant for balsa.

1 Like

That’s what I would have thought would be the case! Compensating for the differences in the thickness of the materials and perhaps for the rigidity - like possibly having to glue two layers of cardstock together to get it to do what some of the wood projects require or adding tabs for attaching two pieces, that kind of thing.

1 Like

I think everyone kind of re-invents the wheel on this–this moving from one medium to another. I’ve done fabric projects in paper, and basketry projects in paper, and wood projects in paper, and for that matter, paper projects in fabric :grin: But I tend toward seeing …whatever…and wondering, could I make that with paper?

2 Likes