4x6 Hand-Carved Floral Stamp

I purchased a set of twelve 4x6 rubber pads to practice carving rubber stamps (is there a specific place to post these?) especially working for a model for student curriculum. My friend taught printmaking this way. I love it and even though when the time comes, I could borrow hers assignment, I want to practice. Plus, it’s a skill I’ve admired.

I carved this beauty last night.

It took several hours to create my design, then carve. I started with the positive space, stamped it to see what I thought, then created and carved the rest, this time carving out more negative space.

I love how it turned out!

23 Likes

Great design! I’m sure you’ll get lots of use out of it!

1 Like

WOW! You’re off to a pretty amazing start with your set of pads! I can’t wait to see what you come up with next!

1 Like

Stamp carving isn’t as easy as I thought it would be. You did a wonderful job at it and I like the design.

2 Likes

Gorgeous! I love it!

1 Like

This is FABULOUS! Just so, so cool.

1 Like

Very nice, this would make gorgeous fabric!

1 Like

That’s really neat! If you mirrored the stamp you could make a repeated flower pattern.

I had to learn how to mirror a stamp when I accidentally carved one facing the wrong way. I stamped it on a new piece to get the design transfered easily. That was a small stamp so it wasn’t a ton of work. Very annoying to accidentally mirror the design in the first place, however :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Beautiful!

1 Like

Wow! This is lovely!

1 Like

I love it! Stamp carving is the main new skill that I would like to learn this year. I used some birthday money to buy myself a very simple starter kit to try it and see if I like it. Did you take any progress pictures? I’m curious about what you mean when you say you started with the positive space.

I just meant I started carving the side that is floral heavy (more stamped image, less space).

1 Like

Cool! I understand now. That makes sense for building a semi-abstract design where you still want it to be aesthetically balanced. :slight_smile: Thanks!

This is a great project. and would also be good as an underlayer (now that you can repeat it).

1 Like

I love stamp carving! I mainly make small designs but I love what you did with the whole block :two_hearts:

Congrats! Your Hand Carved Stamp is one of this week’s featured projects! You are awesome!

2 Likes

Thanks