Ds #1 had a large project for school in which he had to research a planet, put together a slide show with facts, construct an alien to live on that planet, and write a story about said alien. We thought everything was going hunky dory – he had made a clay alien last weekend and we were just waiting for it to dry so he could paint it. Well… we picked it up Thursday and all the legs fell off. I tried gluing them back on, but then the rest of it just crumbled. Yikes. And the project was due on Friday! Obviously we didn’t have time to make another clay alien and wait for it to dry, so the fastest thing I could think of was to sew it.
Stash to the rescue! I had just the right colors that he needed. I drafted up a pattern based on the original alien and then ds#1 and I set to work! I wanted to make sure that this was his project and that it would be obvious that a 5th grader and not his mother had made it. He got a crash course in how to run the sewing machine and he was off! I stayed to supervise, troubleshoot, and refill the bobbin as needed. It took us 5 hours, well past everyone’s bedtime, but he did it and he is soooo proud of himself (as he should be!). And I’m proud of him, too, so I wanted to show off his work.
Meet the Spiketopus!