80s style peplum top

Hi you crafty bunch, it’s ME again with more covid sewathon!!

Sooooo, I got a bit crazy…I picked a pattern a bit out of my comfort range of clothing styles again… I was a little worried a peplum might amplify the already poofy tum, and the poofy sleeves might amplify my already oversized upper arms, buuuut I think it works. Either that or it makes me look even crazier than I am :wink:

I kind of feel that the marbled shirt makes me look a bit like I’m going for an 80s job interview, but I’ve gotta say I’m not against that and I think it’ll work well just with some dark wash jeans hopefully, maybe for a date night… when we’re allowed out of the house again some time in the future, lol!

I did have to do a Full Bust Adjustment unfortunately cos people just don’t make patterns to fit my gigantic bazookas (UK K-cup / US O-cup :woozy_face:) lol, that said it’s not something I’m very experienced in (thank you Mr or Ms Google!) but I think it came out ok, tho I could do with a smidge extra on the bodice length if I make another.

:boom: If you see this person outside, please report them to the crazy police… :boom:

This one is perhaps a little bit more everyday wearable I think as it’s a little less crazy, and has little ties on the front instead of being a ‘pullover’ style.

I can tell you tho this bl00dy fabric was a pain in the posterio tho! As soon as I saw it I knew I wanted to make this with it, but I didn’t consider that you can see all the seams through it, and the elastic, not to mention how itchy it was at the edges! :pleading_face: I don’t do well with itchy fabrics… I have another top shoved in a drawer that was so itchy I never finished it!

I did the FBA again which made it a nice fit, buuuut to get around the itchiness and the see through hems I cut off the solid mint selvage to make a binding with, and a waistband… but since the scuba was 2-way stretch, the binding wasn’t stretchy (which I totally didn’t think about because I’m an idjit!), so the nice fit I had wasn’t so nice anymore, and I couldn’t use hook and eyes on the waistband like I’d hoped (since it wouldn’t close now!). Urgh!!! :rage:

So the little ties are rather a last minute addition to make it actually wearable, phew! :triumph:

Look at all the poofiness going on there!!

I’m considering using the same pattern and hacking it to make a dress with at some point, to go full 80s glory. I’m sure I remember seeing my Mum in dresses with Joan Collins sleeves like that in the 80s!

:boom: Fabrics: I got the crazy marbled scuba from Fabric-Styles, and the mint laser cut scuba from Minerva Crafts
:boom: Pattern: I used the Selfie Shirt from George & Ginger Patterns

Hope you like them! :sunglasses:
Loops xx

19 Likes

These are great! Even though the mint fabric was a pain, of the two tops it’s my favorite! They both look great!

1 Like

You look fantastic in these tops! Well done. :yellow_heart:

1 Like

I agree, the mint looks awesome on you. I’m glad you persevered and found solutions to the problems you had. I, too, can’t stand itchy fabrics.

1 Like

ACK! You are adorable in these! You look so stylish and fun!

1 Like

I was not familiar with scuba stretch fabrics…are they just a tighter knit? I looked at your link and saw that it was laser cut outs, so I don’t think they are really meant for scuba (I scuba dive, hence the confusion…)…no matter, the green is adorable with the ties and how you got around any fitting and fabric issues makes you a star seamstress!

By the end of CoVID, you are going to have such an awesome wardrobe to show off!

2 Likes

@AIMR - Awww thank you!! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: Scuba fabric is apparently unrelated to actual scuba weirdly, lol, some people list it as neoprene which I believe scuba suits are made from, but the scuba fabric isn’t neoprene tho it can have a similar feel! It’s thicker than standard knits (and kind of spongy) and holds shapes really well, which is why I used it for the shirt as it’s perfect for peplums and puffy sleeves. It tends to be my fabric of choice for bras as well, and high-low skirts - I made a lovely copper colour scuba high-low skirt for a Xmas party last year and I have another planned for this year if it goes ahead (white and silver holo striped scuba this time!!) :grin:

@Lynx - I kinda feel like I should have spotted the problems before starting to cut and sew (cept the itchiness, sometimes you just can’t tell until it’s made how itchy fabric is!) but I have a habit of jumping in too quickly, lol! I’m glad it didn’t end up stuffed in my drawer with my little pile of “I’ve given in” projects tho :grin:

@Bunny1kenobi - I particularly love that it almost looks like it’s leather rather than scuba :astonished: I was a little unsure of the colour as I don’t tend to wear pastel colours but I did turn out to really like it!! More pastel in my future I wonder…? Probably not, I’m too loud, lol.

2 Likes

You look very well put together and not crazy at all!
I love all your projects, you look darling!

1 Like

That green top looks so fabulous on you! Showing off those amazing curves you have! This might be my favorite out of everything you have made.

2 Likes

Both tops look fab! The pattern is a great shape, and you adapted it so well.

1 Like

Super cute!

1 Like

I always look forward and enjoy your posts. You are so talented! I love both of these. The marbled one is bright and fun. The mint one is my favorite. The laser cut looks so cool. The back especially looks fantastic. You are one stylish chick!

2 Likes

Your peplum tops are one of this week’s featured projects. You are awesome!

2 Likes

Oh wow, fantastic, thank you so much!! :smiley:

I love the fabric on the left. The one on the right looks really good on you. They both do, but especially the one on the right.

1 Like

I tried to comment on this a week ago, but my 'puter was being stupid. I like how you figure out workarounds when you run into a snag. Both of these tops look so nice on you!

@gozer I loved that marbled fabric as soon as I saw it but was gutted as they were out of stock, but thankfully they restocked really quickly so I managed to get it, yey!! I’m going to make a bra with the leftover fabric, yey!

@grenouille78 Awww thank you so much. I will say tho I do have a little pile of half done projects too that I never managed to fix issues with, but hopefully I’ll get them fixed up one day!!

2 Likes

I love your posts! You are inspiring me to get back to sewing for my shape. I follow your links too. I appreciate the details you include in your posts! Thanks!

1 Like

Thank you so much, and I’m so glad that you actually manage to get through all my ‘scribbles’ :rofl: Looking forward to seeing you post some clothes posts soon then :wink:

1 Like

I think that might be our lot in life as crafters! :grin:

1 Like