9 pointed star

As soon as I finish writing up the pattern, I’ll post it on my site but I wanted to share these since they came out nicely! pattern added!

I made a TON of them to test out my pattern. A few are going to my Mom and a few more are going to another person with Bahá’í family… The 9 pointed star is a symbol of the Bahá’í Faith and things with or made into 9 pointed stars are hard to find. I worked this up from a star/doily pattern I found here → Chunky Crochet Doily Pattern in Two Sizes I added an extra few stitches and made it 9 instead of 8 points :partying_face:

Pattern:
These nine pointed stars work up really fast. I think they take me about a half hour to do one.

For this size I used a 2 mm hook and lace weight thread/yarn in cotton I found at Daiso.

Terminology:

dc = double crochet
sc = single crochet
ch = chain
sl st = slip stitch
sps = spaces
Instructions:

Make a magic ring.

Round 1: Ch 3 (counts as dc), work 17 dc into ring, join — 18 dc.

Round 2: Ch 3 (counts as dc), work 1 dc in next same st as join, ch 3, skip next st, *work 2 dc in next st, ch 3, skip next st, rep from * around, join — 45 total stitches – 18 dc and 9 ch sps.

Round 3: Ch 3 (counts as dc), work 1 dc in next st, work 4 dc in next ch-sp, *work 1 dc in each of the next 2 sts, work 4 dc in next ch-sp, rep from * around, join — 54 dc.

Round 4: Ch 3 (counts as dc), work 1 dc in same st as join, work 2 dc in next st, ch 5, skip next 4 sts, *work 2 dc in each of the next 2 sts, ch 5, skip next 4 sts, rep from * around, join — 81 total stitches – 36 dc and 9 ch sps.

Round 5: Sl st in next st, 1 sc in next st, work [1 hdc, 2 dc, picot, 2 dc, 1 hdc] in next ch sp, *work 1 sc in next st, Sl st in next 2 sts, 1 sc in next st, work [1 hdc, 2 dc, picot, 2 dc, 1 hdc] in next ch sp, rep from * around, work 1 sc in next st, Sl st in next st to join — 99 sts.

To make the loop, chain 18 and sl st into the next stitch. cut yarn, pull through the last sl st to fasten off

Now, weave in ends and block!

finished

blocking

preblocking

13 Likes

Beautiful!

1 Like

It’s great that you have been able to make something for your mum’s faith that is hard to find AND that you will make the pattern available for others to create something to represent their faith.

Beautiful idea and finished piece!

1 Like

What a thoughtful gift! I’m sure a 9 pointed star is a challenge to find for sure!

1 Like

Wow! I don’t know anything about crochet but I am impressed that you were able to rework the the pattern to add an extra star point to it. You figured out the spacing perfectly! These came out really nice!

1 Like

Pattern added to the main post and on my website

2 Likes