A Crookshanks Christmas

@endymion was one of my partners for the HP ornament swap. She wanted an ornament that would stand out on her tree and I rememberd from the ongoing ornament swap that she likes cats. I was also dying to use my watercolors so I decided to make a tiny scene with Crookshanks batting at a golden snitch by the xmas tree. Some cute trim, an old cardboard coaster as a base, and some backing paper later I had an ornament. I’m happy with how it came out!

Initial sketch:

Mid-way progress:

13 Likes

Yay! You used your drawing cat skillz and it looks superb. Oh, Crookshanks, you handsome feline!

2 Likes

I love my ornament! Thanks so much! It really looks exactly like Crookshanks. Thanks for the progress pictures, too. I cannot believe it’s done with watercolors.

1 Like

You’re welcome!

He looks more Garfield than Crookshanks in my midway picture. That orange is intense :joy: :joy: :joy:.

Watercolor is one of my favorite mediums.

1 Like

This is delightful! What a cool idea, using watercolours.

1 Like

Beautiful work! How did you attach your watercolor paper to the coaster? It looks so smooth and even! The trim you used around is also so pretty…how did you attach it?

1 Like

I just glued the layers together. The trim and ribbon I chose are both fairly flat so it made glueing them easy. I used scrap book paper as backing to finish it as well.

I should add that I used spray sealer on the water color (3 layers) prior to assembly to try to protect the art. With something like an ornament that’s an important step. I skip sealing for pure art pieces, though, as I’ve had pieces get blurry and lose detail before. It’s a bit of a gamble.

What glue? I can’t seem to get my watercolor paper to lay flat when I glue…it wants to buckle!

This is so cute!

1 Like

I’ve used tombo and E-6000 without issue. The watercolor paper I normally use is Aquarelle.

1 Like

Very cool! The snitch is the perfect touch!

2 Likes