A Horrifying Thing

So, I had a grab bag of mostly quilting cotton pieces to make more masks. In it were also 7 panels of a vintage sew and stuff preprinted doll called “Gingham Girl”. I always prewash and machine dry everything straight out of my grab bags, but one of the doll panels was already cut and didn’t really survive the dryer to be useable as intended. My strange little heart got an idea. It was not a good idea, but it gave me joy, so I brought it to fruition.

In case anyone not in their right mind has a desire to do something similar… I first folded the (not 100% symmetrical) face straight down the middle, and pressed, then I cut out as much of the front face mask pattern as i could get. The panel didn’t extend far enough on either side for a complete pattern piece. I then did the same for the back of the doll, only I cut the center line instead of folding it, and positioned the pattern so I would get the back half of it on the hair.
Then I lazy-appliqued the pieces together so they fit correctly, by layering the face bit on top of the hair bit and stitching along the stitching line. I only have a Featherweight operational at the moment, so no zigzag or even backstitching. I just stitched the entire line first one way, then back. Not neat, but sufficient for the purposes of this ridiculous object. Then I trimmed the top layer back to about 1/8" from the stitching and sewed the rest of the mask together as usual with decent cotton scraps on the inside.
As you can see, the nose and mouth disappeared into the seam allowance (even though it is only 1/4"), leaving you a little confused about what is even the face. My mother opined that this was a no from her, and that when worn it looks like an angry bull, snorting. She is not wrong on either count.

Now I just have to find someone to wear it…

And incidentally, my teenager has requested a small army of matching creepy dolls…

10 Likes

Funny!

1 Like

After seeing the angry bull, I cannot under it. Hilarious!

1 Like

Love it!

1 Like

That is awesome!

1 Like

Oh, I think it is excellent!

1 Like

That is marvelously disturbing!

1 Like

So darling! And so horrifying! I :black_heart: it!

1 Like

:smiley: Thanks everyone! I’m glad I’m not the only one who approves of this totally unjustifiable use of my crafting time. lol