A Little Zen

I made a tiny zen garden for @thanate as part of the Secret Santa Swap.

The cherry tree was made using twist ties as a base. I put some paper clay composite on top and then painted that with wood stain. A couple times. The pink “blossoms” are tiny bits cut from the end of a faux flower sprig I had. I just glued lots of them in place.

The little pot is actually an empty tape roll that I added a cardboard bottom to and then painted. Add a bit of moss to the tree base and the tree is complete!

The bridge was made with little craft sticks glued together and then stained. The little rake was made using part of a kabob skewer and 3 toothpick ends and some wood glue.

For the tin, I used an old chocolate tin and had to hammer down the dimensional design on the top. Then I created a mixed media piece for the top of the tin. The kanji characters say “Zen” and I added accents with a gold foil pen.

27 Likes

Such a wee zen garden! I think my favorite part is the cherry blossom tree. You put a lot of work and thought into this gift.

3 Likes

How adorable!

1 Like

You pounded down the raised design? I never thought of that!
Very convincing label, I thought it was a real Japanese tin.

And you didn’t even mention the sand!I

1 Like

This is very cute. I like seeing the stages of the tree.

1 Like

Love the zen garden. It’s so cute. Thanks for sharing your process too!

1 Like

Love it! I’ve always wanted a Zen garden.

1 Like

It looks big in the first picture then it gets smaller and so super crafty and cute by the end. What a fun gift.

1 Like

Very thoughtful gift…love seeing how you did it all…the tiny rake is perfect!

1 Like

What a peaceful little escape! It’s really lovely.

1 Like

This is so wonderful! What a great idea.

1 Like

This is super nifty! So much detail in such a tiny tin!

1 Like

So cool! What a great idea. I love your idea to use twist ties for the tree trunk; that was genius!

1 Like

So peaceful. I agree, the cherry blossom tree is amazing.

1 Like

Your tiny zen garden is awesome!

1 Like

I could use some zen around the holidays. Ha! This is so pretty and would relax anyone just looking at it. Very pretty.

1 Like

Mini things are my favorite. :two_hearts: I’ve actually recently been thinking upon the idea of somehow creating a mini zen garden. sigh

1 Like

What a lovely little scene! I love that it’s interactive and you can make your own patterns in the sand.

1 Like

Love your zen garden and the cherry blossom tree is so pretty💗

1 Like

Thank you!