A Mess of Pizzelles!

Several years ago, my mom bought a pizzelle maker and made a batch of delicious pizzelles while I was visiting. When I got back home, I bought the pizelle maker (planning to make them for our annual school fundraiser), but then I never made any (because the fundraiser was cancelled due to COVID).

This year, while visiting, I had some time and decided to try them out. Let’s just say that there’s a learning curve! You can definitely see the progression as I worked my way through the bowl of batter. Even if none of them are perfect, they got better as I went, and they still taste great!

I had batter all over my hands, and because I struggled with the amount of batter to put on the griddle, it oozed out and dripped all over the counter. A lot of the crumbs on the plate are from the bits I broke off of the edges to make them look a little neater. Many of the crumbs got eaten!

Here’s the recipe I used:
Ingredients:
6 eggs
1 cup sugar
1 cup butter
2 tsp vanilla extract
3 cups flour
1 Tbsp baking powder
2 tsp anise extract

Directions:
Beat the eggs and sugar together.
Add the vanilla and anise extracts
Melt the butter and add it to the egg mixture (I let it cool slightly)
Sift the dry ingredients into the batter and beat well.

Drop a little less than 1 tablespoon of batter into each section of the griddle and cook for about 40 seconds or until golden brown.

14 Likes

They look delicious!

“Waffle cookies” were the specialty of my great-aunt Valentina, nonna’s sister. She always brought them to every family event, but took the recipe to her grave. Now, thanks to you, I can make them!

1 Like

Mmmmm! They look so yummy!

1 Like

They are delicious, and the whole house smelled great while they were cooking, too!

The batter came out thicker than I expected, but it might have been because I let the butter cool for a little bit (I didn’t want to cook any egg bits with hot butter), or I may have used the mixer for too long. But, maybe it’s supposed to be that way (let me know if you try it).

1 Like

Mmm…love pizzelles! My mom usually sends me some. They break in the box but are still delicious!

1 Like

These look delicious!

1 Like

They look great. I make these every year, several times. Maybe 6 or 7 :sweat_smile: and I never get the amount just right. I usually do about 1 tbsp placed just off centre to the back. But if its warmer or cooler will change how the cookie presses because of the butter. I also add a dusting of icing sugar on top.

I might have a cookie scoop that is the right size, but placement is tricky. The batter starts to slide around pretty quickly! I’m sure I’ll get the hang of it eventually!

1 Like

Yummmm!!! I love pizzelles :yum: They look so tasty!

1 Like

Thanks! I need to make a batch at home, but on a school night do I can leave them in the teachers’ room the next day and not eat them all myself!

Pizzelles are my family’s go-to holiday cookie! If you don’t want to eat them all at once, leaving them in an airtight container for a while can actually make the anise flavor intensify. The ones we pulled out of their hiding places in January were always the best.

2 Likes

Good to know! I wonder if I could freeze them?