A needlefelted cat reading a book

(the above two photos are gozer’s)

(the next two photos are mine)

I made a needlefelted cat for @gozer for the Winter Book Swap 2023. She is collecting cute animals reading for her library.

I used wispy business from my own stash plus some I purchased from BigSkyFiberArts on Etsy. Black for the body and pupils. Pink for the inner ear, nose, and toe beans. A mixture of yellow and green for the eyes. I also used one whisker from one of my own boys and cut it down to insert into the needlefelted cat. The background is a piece of rose-colored felt that has been E6000’d onto a stiff piece of paper board (the E6000 is only behind the cat body so it wouldn’t show through the felt). gozer used her frame.

In the arms of the cat is a tiny book I made using a print-out of the cover of the ebook I sent to gozer. I could not find an image of the back of the book, so I used a second image of the cover and made it a bit transparent. The inner pages are from my stash of the guts of a book that I had hollowed out to create a sneaky space in my library. Sadly, I did not sew the pages, I only had time to staple them, then adhere them to the outer cover so the staple did not show through the whole book.

I used mostly one needle to work on it. I couldn’t tell you the size, I received it as a kit from the old site during a swap. I just know it has a golden “L” shape at the end. It’s a pretty fun craft. I think next time I’ll wear thimbles, even though I only poked myself once.

Thank you for looking!

20 Likes

Oh my gosh, this is the cutest! I love it!! Him popping out of the frame is just too much!

3 Likes

Awww! Lucky Gozer; this guy is adorable! :heart_eyes_cat: He looks so into his book.

3 Likes

I absolutely squealed when I saw it. It’s even cuter in person. Black felt is hard to photograph! Ha!
It will fit right in with my room of animals reading. I adore it! I also love that I can change to book out to the one I am reading! Brilliantly done!

5 Likes

Super freaking cute!

1 Like

Holy cats, this is amazing! Love those incredible eyes & real whiskers, get outta here. :heart_eyes_cat:

1 Like

This is fantastic!!

1 Like

This is terrific!

1 Like

This is so amazing and such a little cutie, too! Love!

1 Like

This is adorable!! You did such a good job creating this 3D kitty! What a fun and creative idea. I love his little paws :paw_prints:.

2 Likes

Love the 3-D, of course the black kitty, and the teeny book!

1 Like

Omg this is amazing! His little paw pads!

1 Like

This is so stinking cute!!

1 Like

This is sweet and I’m not even a cat lover.

1 Like

What a heartfelt and sweet piece for such a cat and book lover! Your attention to detail is just phenomenal. What a great swap item!

2 Likes

The 3D effect is purrfect! And charming. My little Felix looks just like that. Last night he reached over and started a video about lions on the iPad. Smart cat.

1 Like

This is brilliant-- love it! :heart_eyes:

1 Like