A Novice Knitter's Journey into Trying New Things - Photo Dump

I learned the basics of knitting a few years ago, and have slowly pushed myself to try new projects and techniques to expand my skills. What follows is basically a giant photo dump of everything I’ve made since about August.

I started with some scrappy socks because what better way to use up sock yarn scraps? I also love how none match (purposely). I learned how to stripe two yarns with this which is very simple and you totally shouldn’t be afraid to try it if you’re curious (thank goodness for youtube tutorials btw).

Ok this Hat for Ella pattern was made earlier in the year, with some lovely yarn gifted to me from @PerfectlyBohemian. I did the wavy texture pattern for the first time which I kind of love. Just a simple switch between knit and purl but looks so cool.

Then I found out a friend was expecting so had to challenge myself to some baby knits - first up an adorably tiny cardi (pattern by So Wooly)! First time making actual clothes (not counting socks), and it turned out great.

To go with the cardi, I made a hat with faux cables (first time for that - eventually I have to try real cables lol). It turned out great…but will be a doll hat because it was way too small for the babe’s noggin’. Live and learn.

Continuing my hat kick, I decided I wanted to take on fair isle, and knit up these 4 hats for nieces and a nephew for xmas. It’s definitely not too bad to learn, and I had fun with it since you never get quite bored of the knitting pattern since each row is almost always different.

Here’s all the patterns I used:
Little Fair Isle Hat
Cranberry Forest
Duskelue/Pompomhat
Gretchen’s Easy Tam

After a bunch of 2 color knits, I had to jump into the deep end with 5 colors in this Field Hat! This was supposed to be a hat for myself, but sadly what should have fit a “average adult woman” head, will end up fitting a toddler…not sure what happened with the sizing but I’ll try this again in the future for myself.

Now I’m working on my very first sweater :sweat_smile: Fingers crossed it turns out wearable at the end!

30 Likes

You went from knitting novice to knitting expert! It got better and better. Absolutely amazing!!!

2 Likes

Thank you :slight_smile: I still feel like there’s so much to learn, and so many patterns I look at that I can’t make heads or tails of, so there’s still room for growth.

3 Likes

I’m super impressed! Wowza!

1 Like

Love seeing your knitting journey! That last hat is :ok_hand: even if the fit wasn’t right for you. Can’t wait to see what you do next!

2 Likes

It’s amazing to see how much you’ve grown as a knitter in such a short time! I’m in awe of how far you’ve pushed yourself my dear. Well done!

1 Like

Holy moly that’s some progress!!!

1 Like

Wow, wow, wow! You’re really running away with the mad knitting skills! These all look great!

1 Like

Lots of awesomeness!

1 Like

Woah, those Fair Isle hats are incredible!

1 Like

That is a very impressive collection!
Doesn’t look like novice work either.

1 Like

Look at you go! Everything looks so impressive, wow. I’m convinced to give it a go myself, thanks for the hat link it’s super cute :blush:

1 Like

Thanks everyone! I seriously had the hardest time trying to teach myself many years ago, and once someone showed me in person the basic stitches, it finally clicked. So for anyone who is curious or nervous to try, I say go for it! Seriously youtube tutorials are the best to walk you through some beginner projects step by step. I can recommend the ones I’ve used if anyone is interested.

These all look wonderful! As someone who crochets, rather than knits, I am VERY impressed with your progress and all your lovely finishes! :two_hearts:

1 Like

You’re doing amazing!!! Remember nothing is hard until someone convinces you it is!! My first knitting was socks lol I crocheted but didn’t like crocheted socks so that’s why I taught myself to knit!
I love the sweater you shared as well in the random chat thread…what pattern is that?

Congrats! Your Knitting Journey is one of this week’s featured projects. You are awesome!

1 Like

@Bugaboo The pattern is Graphic Pullover - I am such a sucker for a good geometric print :smiley:

@kittykill Thank you! :heart:

Beautiful journey!
These projects are awesome, they look totally not novice to me :slight_smile:

1 Like

Wow! I am impressed with how quickly you progressed in your skills! It gives me hope that one day I will graduate from scarves to socks :laughing:

1 Like