A quilt for butterfly memories - Scrappy Hand-stitched Wall Quilt

My first FO to post here! Last week, it was WAY too hot to work on any of my knitting projects, so I decided to start piecing together fabric scraps by hand and do some slow stitching.

This wound up being surprisingly meaningful, though! I realized I was using primarily scraps from projects for/made with people who aren’t in my life anymore, so I added some more as embellishment: a half-made friendship bracelet from a former friend, a hexie from something I wore on my wedding day, yarn from mitts I knit for a family member who’s no longer with us.

I stitched the caterpillar, cocoon, and butterfly, thinking about how butterflies remember things from when they were caterpillars, even though they’ve transformed. And the golden thread knot is also from a project, but this one for my current partner (and a nod to Invisible String by Taylor Swift, which was stuck in my head while I made this!).

It’s entirely hand stitched, including the binding and all the details, and mostly done freehand (I did sketch the rough outlines of the top embroidery). I really enjoyed practicing freehand composition without overthinking it.

It’s 11.5" square, and I’m planning to hang it on the wall somewhere to remember the people who touched my life, even if they aren’t a part of it now.

19 Likes

I love this so much, it’s so full of meaning

1 Like

What a lovely quilt and wonderful first project post! The slow stitching really adds to the texture of the piece and seems appropriate for a quilt that is about reflecting and remembering.

I love that there is such a variety of memories stitched into this. I also love that as you worked on it, this project grew and evolved, becoming something both meaningful and beautiful.

2 Likes

So beautiful, so bittersweet, and so personal. Lovely!

1 Like

This is just gorgeous. I true crafting meditation. :heart: I love every meaningful inch.

1 Like

Beautiful.

1 Like

Lovely work. So sweet and meaningful. I love the story it tells and the memories it holds. The caterpillar to butterfly is amazing.

2 Likes

Beautiful. I love that every time you’ll look at it, you’ll be reminded of where you’ve been and all the love that went into this work.

1 Like

This is such a fantastic project! Beautiful stitching, and I love how meaningful it is.

1 Like

Gorgeous! I love the texture!

1 Like