A Quilt for Me--The "5 Yard Everyday Quilt Pattern" Exploded!

I started this quilt when we were in quarantine. I purchased the 5 yard every day quilt pattern from Doodle Time Designs on Etsy. I wanted to match the beautiful mini quilt that quaggy (She was a staple over at C-ster, and hope she finds her way back home to us. I believe she joined, so hopefully she’ll be around again some day) so I looked for somewhat matching colors. My husband prefers nature colors, and our bedroom has a pretty Alaska feel (reminds me of home!).

I really liked how this looked as the 5 yard project, but it was much too small for my bed, so I bought more fabric, and repeated the pattern about 3 more times.

I had my LQS make a really special quilt pattern of moose, bears, and trees. It doesn’t really show up well in photos, though:

I choose backing fabric that could represent the Northern Lights.

There was a slight quilting hiccup where I noticed a mistake (it’s ok.) and I also noticed where I made some piecing mistakes, but no worries.

I’ve only made a few quilts in my life so far, but this one is special because this is for me!

I have enough fabric to make matching pillowcases…whatever I decide matching will look like!

24 Likes

Wow!! This is epically awesome! And for you!!! Yay!

1 Like

It came out so great! I love how you tied it in to your wall hanging with your fabric choices (I love the backing fabric) and the quilting design. And, good for you for actually making something for yourself and actually keeping it!

1 Like

What a beautiful project! I love how personal everything is, down to the quilting patterns themselves. That lining is so gorgeous!

1 Like

This is really pretty! A true treasure!

1 Like

It’s so beautiful! Just in time for winter.

1 Like

There are so many meaningful personal touches to your pretty quilt… it’s wonderful! And just in time for the long, cold winter months.

2 Likes

Thank you all so much!

1 Like

It is fabulous!

1 Like

Wooooaaah! What a giant gorgeous quilt!!

1 Like

@AudiobookLover, did you see that I finally finished it?

1 Like

Yaaay!! Thank you for tagging me! I love this! It has such a warm, cozy look to it. It must have felt good to finally sleep under it, knowing that you’d created it. It looks great in the pics, but when I look at the ornament you made me, I’m able to appreciate the colors even more.

How big is the original 5 yard quilt - about throw size? I love that you took the pattern and just kept adding to make it your own. It ties in nicely with your Quaggy quilt. You definitely made a great choice on the backing fabric. It looks really similar to the wall quilt and packs an extra punch of color. I especially like the Alaskaesque quilting. What a perfect finishing touch!

What color did you use for the binding? I’m impressed that you hand sewed it (that is definitely not my forte)!

3 Likes

I honestly don’t remember how big the original size was, but probably a throw. I was happy to tag you because I know you were curious to see it finished. Yes, it felt so good to sleep under it! Aren’t the fabrics so nice? It was fun to send you a glimpse when I made that ornament. The binding the the brown fabric. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Just lovely! I love the Alaskan touches :blush:

2 Likes

Congratulations, your quilt is a featured project for this week!

2 Likes

It is VERY PRETTY!!! Both on the front and the back.

2 Likes

Wow, thank you!

I knew you would never regret buying more fabric to make this bigger. It looks amazing on your bed, great job, woman!

2 Likes

Thank you!

I wish I had the patience for quilting. Your quilt is so beautiful. I love the backing fabric.

1 Like