A Rainbow of Sketchbooks

I have a lot of students who like to draw and doodle when they’re done with their work. Many draw in notebooks with lines, and some draw on the desks (ugh…). So, I dug into a bin of 8.5” X 11” scrapbook paper and selected an assortment. I folded a piece of scrapbook paper in half for the cover, folded 5 sheets of copy paper in half, tucked them into the cover, and used my sewing machine’s longest stitch to sew them together.

I made 18 in this first batch and I’ll keep them in a basket on my desk, adding new ones as needed. Hopefully, that keeps my desks cleaner!

I might stick a label on the front of each one so they can write their name on it. I’ll have to remember to look for labels tomorrow!

27 Likes

Smart!! They will love going through the fun colors and patterns!

2 Likes

sweet!
and so clever of you!
I predict they will be a hit!

2 Likes

So cute and practical! I predict you are on the way to ‘Teacher of the Year’!

2 Likes

Yeah, I’ll bet the kids adore you! These are very cool, and I love that the students will be able to personalize them.

3 Likes

What an awesome gift to encourage your creative students! Love it.

2 Likes

Thank you! My sister is an artist, so I try to be encouraging about the doodling and drawing. I came up with the idea mostly to use as a carrot (okay… bribe…) for a VERY reluctant worker in one of my classes. If I can get him to follow directions without me repeating myself multiple times, he can use a sketchbook. I don’t know if it will work, but all it cost me was a little time.

Now, if I can remember to bring home the old atlases on my desk, I can make some with those. And, maybe old magazines, too.

3 Likes

What a great way to quickly make so many cute notebooks! You have very lucky students! And your desks are about to get luckier, too.

1 Like

Thank you! I gave out the first one today, and introduced it to the reluctant learner. He seemed on board!

I need to increase my stockpile because once word gets out that they are available, I want to make sure I have enough.

4 Likes

Brilliant idea!! They look great!

1 Like

So thoughtful and sweet. Drawing, doodling, journaling is so important and these make it fun!

2 Likes

Thank you! The student who took the first one is already using it, which is nice to see. I hope to make more this weekend.

3 Likes

coming back to add another thought:
making connections with your students is so important, and you are doing it well!
yay, you!

2 Likes

I’m trying! Sometimes I feel like such a meanie when I have to tell kids not to draw in their science notebooks or on their assignments. So, this gives me a positive way to turn it around.

2 Likes

Congratulations! :tada: :tada: :tada:
Your amazing craft is a Featured Project! Thank you for sharing your talent and creativity with us!

2 Likes

Thank you! I didn’t expect that, but I appreciate it :smiley:

2 Likes

These are such a great idea. Hopefully they’ll work to eliminate some of that graffiti. :slight_smile:

I know it’s a long way off, but you could always get some gift tags without the to and from on them after Christmas when things are a billionty percent off to use for future ones!

3 Likes

Thanks! And, good idea for a source of labels! I wonder if I actually have any on hand already…

1 Like

Between this and the crochet club you wrote about in the other thread, I’m sure you’re every kid’s favourite teacher. I know you would have been my favourite teacher!

2 Likes

Just a great idea!

1 Like