A Succulent Ornament

I sculpted some tiny succulents from polymer clay for an open front/terrarium inspired ornament for @Lynx as part of the 2023 Ongoing Ornament Swap. The substrate is tiny styrofoam balls dyed grey with alcohol ink and glued in place.

Creating clay succulents was more challenging than I expected…probably because my own real succulents sat several feet away mocking me :upside_down_face:. They’re all leggy and a touch feral.

28 Likes

Sculpting skillz! They look like real little happy plants. That was a great idea to use those little balls for the substrate! I think I would use this for everyday decor.

4 Likes

It’s so beautiful. I love it. Thank you.

1 Like

I would use this for everyday decor as well. It’s so pretty!

3 Likes

I’m going to bring it to my classroom. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

They are wonderful!!!

1 Like

I want to know how you cut the ball without breaking it! This is definitely a year round ornament!

1 Like

They make ornament balls like that already. Buttttttt I couldnt find the blank I KNOW I have somewhere in my craft room. So I gutted a premade ornament :joy:. I made sure to get a plastic ornament base so less chance of cracking or shattering. Here’s the original.

7 Likes

This is so cute, and all the plants look super well-sculpted. Also, I love how vibrant and colorful it is.

3 Likes

What a fun and colorful ornament! You did a really amazing job sculpting those succulents.

1 Like

This is darling!

1 Like

Whoa! This is so cool!

1 Like

:zap: :bulb: :dizzy: WOOHOO!!! Your awesome craft is one of this week’s Featured Projects! Congratulations! :zap: :bulb: :dizzy:

1 Like

Eeee! Thank you!

1 Like

This is so pretty! Even better than the original. Love the idea with the alcohol ink too. Clever!

1 Like