A watercolour owl thank you

This is a painting I did a little while ago. I keep in touch with my MA fiction writing class. Our beloved, amazing teacher was finishing her job at the university, so she could write full time (yay for her! sad for the people who won’t get to study with her anymore). We put together messages to give to her, and I contributed this owl.

It’s in a more retro/arty style than the more cute/bright little pictures I often do. Looking back at my pictures over the last couple of years, it’s good to be reminded to keep pushing myself more - to try out different ideas, and keep experimenting! I bet that’s what my writing teacher would say too!

30 Likes

I love this. Creating a piece of art for someone is such a beautiful and special way to say thank you.

I have never considered doing something in watercolor with just black. What a cool technique. You’ve inspired me to try it!

1 Like

I love the way you used the book spines for the message!

2 Likes

Oh, I bet she treasures this! The integration of the message in to the books’ spines, the general proportions, and the black/white of it are giving me vintage bookplate vibes. And I love bookplates!

2 Likes

This is so cool, and such a special way to honor the relationship.

2 Likes

Thanks everyone! :heart:

So beautiful and personal.

Did you deliberately choose the owl, symbol of Athena, the goddess of wisdom? Just wondering because of the wisdom reference, the literary significance etc…

1 Like

Thanks! :smiley_cat: yes, partly because of that symbolism, and also because one of the stories I wrote while working with her was about a spooky owl-like creature.

3 Likes

Love the black and gray watercolor! Very cool and personal design.

2 Likes

sweet, sweet, sweet!

1 Like

I love the monochrome look of this and the way you added the sentiment to the book spines - it all works together beautifully!

1 Like

:balloon: :balloon: :balloon: Congrats! Your project is one of this week’s Featured Projects! :balloon: :balloon: :balloon:

1 Like

This is so lovely in every way.

1 Like

Really beautiful! I love the monochrome pallet. My eye is having a hard time believing this is not an edited version of a colorful painting :sweat_smile: It feels like there is so much depth and range. I love it

1 Like

Thank you so much!

Thanks everyone for the lovely comments :heart:

This is gorgeous and I know she will treasure it and the sentiments

1 Like

It has such a graphic feel to it. Beautiful! And I love that you write!

2 Likes