Abstract-y pup portraits

I made these for @JoyfulClover in the holiday gift swap.
It was my first time working with cradle board and I really liked working on that surface.

I did a mixed media type background and drew the pups on 140 lb watercolor paper and doodled in micron pens ( 005 through 08 size). Then I cut them out and adhered to the cradle board.

Technically these are not zentangles. Sorry just a pet peeve of mine. Zentangles was “created” in 2003 and I’ve been doing these types of drawings since the 80s. All my high school notebooks had drawings along the margins.

31 Likes

Gorgeous!

I kind of suspect that people are embarrassed to admit they waste time with “doodles,” but somehow think calling it zentangles makes it a respectable hobby. I doodle, and sometimes get good ideas from it.

3 Likes

You probably have a point there.
I had an artist tell me that they were not doodles, they were abstract line art in ink. So when I feel fancy that’s what I say.

4 Likes

These are great!

2 Likes

Very cool!

2 Likes

These are fantastic! Love your abstract line art that is juxtaposed against the mixed media backgrounds :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Oh my goodness! LOVE! The first one is such the best.

2 Likes

These are great!

2 Likes

These are super cute! :dog:

2 Likes

Abstract line art! Ha! Love it! These are incredible and I love them so much. Your line work on them (thin & thick) is fantastic. As someone who can’t do this kind of freestyle technique (can’t Zentangle either), I admire it a great deal.
PS. I also can’t scribble. It’s very sad.

3 Likes

Wow! Love them, no matter what they are called. The backgrounds are also very cool.

1 Like

Yes beautiful, any way you look at it :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes! These are my babies! They make my heart happy. I can’t express how much I love them.

The colors are excellent! I also love the b&w on thr colorful back ground. And the cradleboard is very neat.

J.

1 Like

Beautiful doggies. :heart:

1 Like

Great pup art!

1 Like

I LOVE them! Beautifully done my friend.

1 Like

Just love how they are done!

If you look at the art work from the 70’s, similar line drawings were pretty popular but were colored in…Peter Max comes to mind…so yeah, zentangles are nothing new…

2 Likes

:heart_eyes:love these so much! Super cute pup portraits!!

1 Like

Beautiful works of art!

(My school notebook margins were full of my drawings too! I wish I still had some. I remember drawing funny Neanderthalers using clubs in my history notebook.)

1 Like

They are beautiful and now I’ll go look up what cradleboard is… … hunh… so it’s like a canvas board but with wood.

1 Like