Acrylic Panel Collage

We’re having a fun round in the Summer Nerd Games, and one of the optional items is to create a crafty self-portrait. I took inspiration from artist Dustin Yellin and got to work.

Over the past month and a half, I made a kind of 3D collage using images I cut out of books, magazines, paper (or that I otherwise had), and eight 12x12 inch acrylic panels. It took A LOT of time to fussy cut everything (over 300 individual images), and A LOT of trial and error to arrange each layer, but I’m pretty happy with how it came out in the end.

It’s really hard to photograph because of glare, but these are a few that show some of the details! The layered effect is way more visible in person.

Thanks for looking!

Edit: Someone else asked to see each layer, so I thought I’d share them here, too!

From back to front:

And all together, again:

24 Likes

Wow! That looks like it took oodles of hours to create. It’s so detailed that I keep scrolling through your pictures to see all the little pieces. I spy a lettuce head in there! You must have a plethora of books, magazines, and paper to comb through and find all of those images. I think I would have used some stickers, just because I have a bunch. Did you use scissors or an Xacto knife or…? I’m so intrigued!

1 Like

That is amazing!

1 Like

@irid3sc3nt Thank you so much! I used both - mostly scissors, but an Xacto for some of the smaller details. There were a couple of kids picture dictionaries in my stash that proved very useful. :smile:

1 Like

This is utterly amazing! I am ah-mazed. And I’m filled with curiousity:
How thick is it?
Is it too heavy to hang easily?
How are the papers attached to the acrylic and
how are the acrylic sheets attached to each other?

1 Like

^^^what she said!

Incredible. The depth is entrancing.

1 Like

@TheMistressT Oh my gosh, thank you! Each panel is 1/4" thick, so it’s about 2" all together. It’s heavy - roughly 8 lbs. I think it could hang with the right equipment and a frame - I’m having it sit on a shelf, since it’s self-standing. To attached the papers to the acrylic I just used a good old fashioned Elmer’s glue stick. I attached the acrylic layers together carefully with a single piece of heavy duty 2" clear packing tape. I didn’t think that would be my final solution, but it’s actually working amazingly well, so I’m not going to touch it :joy: :upside_down_face:. I think Dustin Yellin uses resin to attach his glass layers together, so that could be an option, too.

3 Likes

This is so crazy cool and creative!! I love every detail. Just…awesome!!! :star_struck:

1 Like

so incredible!!!

1 Like

This is soooo awesome!

1 Like

WOW!! This is amazing!

1 Like

This blows my mind.

1 Like

Oh, wow! This is awesome! I feel like I could stare at this for an inordinately long time - I love all the layers.

1 Like

This is so cool on so many levels!!!

1 Like

So, so cool! Thanks for showing all the layers, too. Just incredible!

1 Like

Wow! There is so much going on in such a good way! This is so neat!

1 Like

Thank you all so much! I’m overwhelmed by your kindess!

Such a cool collage! Amazing work!

1 Like

Ooh, I love how this turned out!

1 Like

:closed_book: :scissors: :heart: Congratulations! This amazing piece is a Featured Project this week! :heart: :scissors: :closed_book:

1 Like