Adult Coloring Craftalong

oh I love the sparkle to the color!

1 Like

Now this was educational. It was very interesting to see so many coloring pages brought to life with the various mediums. COOL!

1 Like

Hi everyone, I lost track of this craftalong. I love the idea of coloring, but I get bored easily.
I doodled this during a space of some very tedious online meetings and then recently picked it up during another set of meetings. My colored pencils are a mishmash of random sets, none very great and this paper is in a very old blank sketch book. Quick grabs out of stash.

6 Likes

I’ve been driving a lot during sunrise and sunset recently and really wanted an excuse to do some of the unique cloud colors you see at that time. The valkyrie was just a bonus. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Engaged in some color therapy the other night. Needed to just unclutter my brain a bit. This was about 5 or 6 hours continuous and then another hour the next day trying to fix the background (unsuccessfully.)

I always run into the problem of the paper giving up on layers when I get to the background. I really need to just stop trying because it frustrates me to kinda ruin it at the last stage like that. :slightly_frowning_face:

Ye olde ruined background. :cry:

Oh well. Still enjoyed it, even if I kinda lost it at the end. This was Johanna Basford’s “Worlds of Wonder” book with Castle Arts Soft Touch pencils.

6 Likes

So turns out my husband has a wide variety of colored pencils (even though he’s 99.99999% a black and white artist) so I was playing around with some of his brands to try them out.

First up, Caran D’Ache which is really high end. They are firmer vs Prismacolor and hold a sharp tip point much better. They have a good amount of color, but they definitely lack the “buttery” feeling of Prisma.

Second, I tried Faber-Castell Polychromos and oh, I am in trouble. These I LOVED. Now I want more. (And at $180/120 pencils…sigh. It’s going to be awhile before I can feed my new love.) These are oil based pigments vs wax that you get with other brands. They are softer and more buttery than even Prisma and the blend…oh the blend is delightful.

I mean, look at how the colors can just melt into one another…

Ok, so I officially need a color pencil sugar daddy now. :rofl: Because these are simply the most lovely pencils I’ve ever used. And I need more.

6 Likes

I love your colouring!! My favourite little image is the ship in a bottle - I love how you made it the evening :slight_smile:

Those polychromos do sound lovely, but I have a gorgeous big set of Prismacolour which I’ve hardly cracked open, so I think I’d better use those first … nothing to do with the fact that a 120 tin of poly’s goes for $287 on Amazon here :grimacing:

2 Likes

dang I really want to try these now

2 Likes

They are in my cart. That butterfly sold me completely.

2 Likes

Ooooh let us know if you buy them :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Forgot to show off the rest of the finished page.

And this is the range of colors I have in the Faber-Castell Polychromos at the moment. Though man, I want that 120 count set!!

6 Likes

I have a full set of Prismacolors I got years ago from an Amazon lightening deal that I never really use so of course I had to go and research the Polychromos :woman_facepalming:

I don’t know a lot about artist grade colored pencils but I found a good comparison of the two - Polychromos vs. Prismacolor! - Colour with Claire

4 Likes

Yeah I have Prismacolors and I’ve used those for years. There’s nothing wrong with them. They’re solid pencils and many people use and love them. I also have some Castle Arts ones which are kinda like Prismacolor dupes - very similar soft feel but a lot cheaper.

The Polychromos is a different beast all together. Some people don’t like them if they’re too used to Prismacolors because the Polychromos are oil based instead of wax based and you use them a little differently. But I found, for me, how I like to layer colors together, the Polychromos just are magical.

Now, a lot of people even mix-and-match pencils. Like, the Caran D’ache ones I tried earlier too have a nice, crisp point so if you want fine details, they would be great for that. But they aren’t the soft, buttery feeling. So it might be something you use in combination with another, softer options.

For me though, I really, really enjoyed my experience with the Faber Castell Polychromos and I really want to continue working with them and exploring more colors!

(There’s also a bunch of youtube videos showing a vs if you’re interested in researching further!)

2 Likes

Thanks for the link @photojenn

I have the big set of prismacolors. I like how vibrant they are but I do get frustrated that they constantly break and I have a hard time sharpening them but I just got a new sharpener to try . I had noticed the speckled look when I try to blend with them and figured I was doing something wrong.

I just got a set of 12 of the polychromos to try :grin:

I have so many different markers, pens, and pencils I REALLY don’t need to be buying more but sometimes you just can’t help yourself!

4 Likes

Started another page with multiple, smaller images. Here’s the first of the page:

(Still from the Worlds of Wonder coloring book. Which is actually buy 1/get 1 50% off for Prime day if you wanted to grab it. Several other Johanna Basford books are included)

3 Likes

Do you ever cut out your coloured pictures and use them in other projects? Or do they stay in the book for good?

I love your succulents!

1 Like

No, I’ve just left them in the book honestly. Some books are double-sided pages too so you’d ruin the other side.

And thanks!

2 Likes

did y’all know there are reverse coloring books. they come pre-colored and you add the lines. some are meant to doodle in and some have more structure and you are meant to draw in landscapes or creatures.

here’s an example

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1523515279?ref_=cm_sw_r_cp_ud_dp_6KPPDNWMW20B2ADPX79F

3 Likes

I would like those a lot better! I love all the lessons that start out as “blobs” and then you draw around them!

Cool!

1 Like

That also seems like a fun one to do yourself - I don’t do “real” watercolor, but I love just mushing some paint around on a page.

3 Likes