Adventure in Yarn Dyeing

I’ve had some Knit Picks bare stroll, along with some other bare yarns, in my stash to do some Kool-Aid dyeing.

I made 5, 20-21 g skeins with a 5 g skein of leftover yarn. I soaked the yarn in warm water with a splash of distilled white vinegar for a couple of hours. There are 2 skeins in the 2 colors and one skein in the purple and red.

For the 2 colored ones, I put in 1 damp skein in a jar, dumped a packet on top, and poured hot water from my keurig over it. Then I put another skein and did the same thing again, just finished filling the jar with hot water. I mixed a packet of strawberry and grape with the hot water and put in a skein. I also did the same with the cherry, but just covered the skein. The green, strawberry/grape, and cherry skeins were put in twisted in a hank and the others were untwisted.

The colors are 1 lemon lime (not shown) and 1 mixed berry, 2 lemonade and 1 orange, 1 strawberry and 1 grape mixed, and 1 cherry (not shown) for the 5 g skein.

After the water was mostly clear (the cherry wasn’t clear, and the yellow/orange was cloudy) I rinsed with some soap and water. The reds weren’t fully set and I had to do some extra rinsing, so they are extra tangly.

I’m super happy with these. I had found a tutorial for dyeing using hot water from a teakettle, so I figured my mini keurig would work, just run water through it without a kcup. I could have let the yarn sit overnight, but I was too eager to look at it. I don’t smell the sweetness or vinegar from the multiple rinses I did (and I might need to do some more rinsing). I can’t wait to dye more.

20 Likes

They all turned out so lovely! I particularly love the blue at the bottom…and the yellow…I am not normally attracted to yellow because they tend to be more gold…but yours is very bright and subtle…

Do you have projects in mind for them or do you just dye and put them back into stash for a bit?

2 Likes

I love that green, but once you pointed out how vibrant the yellow is @AIMR, I can’t stop staring at it. These are so neat. Will the Kool-Aid fade over time? Or is it permanent?

3 Likes

Very nice! I haven’t done any Kool-Aid dyeing in years. I should give it another go.

2 Likes

You definitely got some amazing results there! Gorgeous!

2 Likes

These are so vibrant, I can’t wait to see what you create with your colorful yarn!

2 Likes

I’m thinking gnomes and a scrappy sock yarn blanket I’ve been working on. I’m also thinking of dyeing the orange one with some pink lemonade so there’s not so much white.

2 Likes

It might fade, but it’s just like acid dye since it has citric acid in it. I also soaked the yarn in some water with a big splash of vinegar.

2 Likes

Orange and pink lemonade sounds like it will be very pretty.

1 Like

Yarn dyeing is on my list! Thank you for sharing your progress!

1 Like

Hmmm. Now I feel inspired to haul out the koolaid again.

AIMR is right. That yellow turned out really nice.

(as to fading, I had some yarn I dyed years ago (with the left over Easter egg dye) made into socks. Zero fading)

1 Like

It turned out great!

1 Like

Ooooh. It’s a sunrise!

1 Like