Adventures in reverse tie dyeing with bleach gel

The kids and I experimented with reverse tie dyeing today. We used Clorox clinging bleach gel toilet bowl cleaner and darker colored shirts. They folded and tied just like you would with any other tie dyeing. It was so much fun! I made everyone practice on at least one shirt from the “ready to donate” bag before they could bleach a brand new shirt. They had so much fun that they raided their own dressers for more shirts.
Tomorrow we are going to over dye the ones that we don’t love to see what happens.

I tied rocks inside the candy shirt. I am glad it was worth all the work.

EDIT: The next day’s dyeing adventures!

I had black acid dye on hand from a previous wool dyeing project. I also bought some green RIT, but didn’t realize it was for synthetics until today. We decided to see what would happen, anyway.

Overdyed clothing from yesterday:

Clothing dyed for the first time today. The pink and green tie dye was originally white and pink but very old and faded. She overdyed it in green and hates it. You win some and lose some! The pants started out army green. I am so jealous of how they turned out.

My daughter also bleached the green hoodie I used as a cactus costume for Halloween. It is 1000% cooler now.

20 Likes

Oh, this is a cool idea! I’ve “bleach-dyed” stuff before but never with something like that. (On purpose, at least. I’ve definitely splotched stuff unintentionally while cleaning…)

1 Like

It was easy peasy! I made two shirts for myself, but I am pretty sure they will end up in the hands of my daughter and her bestie. That is OK. It was so much fun to craft with them. I even talked my 13 year old son into joining us when i pointed out the stain on the shirt he was wearing and suggested that he sacrifice it to the bleach gods. It was so fun to see their creative energy flow.

5 Likes

Cool effects!

1 Like

Ooh. I want to try that! It looks super cool!

1 Like

Wow! So super cool. Would never have thought to use the toilet bowl cleaning gel; it did a fabulous job!

1 Like

These came out soo cool! Love that rock tied one for sure. Good luck with the over dye!

1 Like

These turned out so cool and the story of doing them with the kiddos makes it all the cooler! I can’t wait to see how the over-dying comes out.

1 Like

:rainbow: :comet: :rocket: Your project is out of this world! That’s why it is one of this week’s Featured Projects! CONGRATS! :rocket: :comet: :rainbow:

1 Like

Aww! Thank you!

1 Like

Rocks for reverse tie dying, never would have thought of that. You used a lot of cool techniques. I think they are all winners!

1 Like

Thanks! These three kids (my daughter, son, and my daughter’s bestie) are artists and they all took the time to research techniques before they put their own flair on each shirt. I love how they just went for it!

3 Likes

I love that they did this, the extra effort definitely paid off in the variety of designs! When you say you’re going to over dye the ones you don’t like, are you planning on using a single dye color or a bunch of colors? I hope you share pics of those results too!

So cool! The results are so cool and varied. The black and orange one is my favorite.

1 Like

@TheMistressT and @AudiobookLover I added today’s dye jobs!

1 Like

Hot dang! They’re really all so cool! I get that maybe one wouldn’t like any specific piece they made, but SOMEONE will really like it!

1 Like

It also kind of has a watermelon effect, if you need a costume this year :laughing:.

2 Likes

Those are really fun! I think my son would enjoy this.

1 Like

It’s really neat to see how the over dying affected the shirts. My favorite is the blue shirt with the diagonal green lines!

1 Like

I was hoping some other folks would be inspired to try this summer project with their kiddos! :slightly_smiling_face::slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes