Affirmations for Abandoning

Feeling small/frustrated/helpless/etc. this week. But I saw a post from the Upworthy IG feed where people were talking about the best thing a stranger had ever done for them; a lot of the comments were variations on the “said what I needed to hear/made me feel seen” theme. One was from someone who hadn’t had a lot of friends in school but came back to their locker one day to find a list of their positive qualities. Anyway, all of that sort of amalgamated in my brain as an idea to make some kind of potential pick-up to abandon in library books (current plan, at least).

These are ~2 x 3 inches; I originally planned and cut 2 x 6 bookmarks but decided I wanted 1) more volume and 2) for them to be more easily reabandonable or anonymously passed along by the finder if they didn’t “need” the message at the moment.

I stamped a couple of 12-x-12 pieces of cardstock (with a tp roll and piece of old tape runner :laughing:) and cut them in half.

A couple of very messy paint techniques and some more cutting later, I had 48 bases to play with.

The top picture is the 10 I have completed and ready for abandoning. There’s a note on the back explaining the finder can keep it/leave it there/pass it on to somebody who needs the message. I figure I’ll stick them in whatever books I check out for leisure, but I may also try to source the local school reading lists and sneak some into those titles.

This post has become a book in itself, but thanks for reading :purple_heart:. You matter.

23 Likes

YOU are making a difference! What a lovely project you’ve started!

2 Likes

This is very sweet and thoughtful! It reminds me of the Peyton Heart Project.

2 Likes

It would be amazing to stumble across one of these treasures. :heart:

1 Like

What a great idea! It will be so exciting to spread this message.

1 Like

You are the best for promoting positive self-esteem! I hope that each person who finds one will smile and be bolstered by your message!

1 Like

What an incredibly thoughtful project! I love that your reaction to a tough week was to lift up others!

1 Like

Finding something like this would be such a wonderful thing! Hope your feelings improve while you work on helping others.

1 Like

Thanks, everyone! Here’s hoping trusting they’ll get to whoever needs them.

3 Likes

I love this idea! It would have made my day to receive something like this in an unexpected way! Enjoy the abandoning process.

3 Likes

Thanks! I’ve got most of the first batch abandoned, so it is starting to feel more fun now that it feels like it’s ramping up.

P.S.~Welcome to Lettuce Craft!

1 Like

Thanks for the warm welcome- Have you thought of including a hashtag so people can post when they find the image? Or so someone might be motivated to do it for others?

I hadn’t really thought about a dedicated push, per se. I guess my original idea was to be fairly low-key about it, with the hope that the blurb on the back might inspire people to at least think about who might need the message. But I may think about the hashtag idea…

Yes! I always need a little pick me up and what a joy it would be to find one of these

Just wandering around Lettuce and came across this delightful thread someone left lying around :grin:

Such a fabulous, uplifting project - I feel inspired!

1 Like

I finally used up the last of these, so I made a (much simpler) second batch this weekend.

4 Likes