Afternoon tea

Thank you lovely xxx

This warms my heart! What a lovely tea.

1 Like

It all looks so delicious! Iโ€™m hungry now.

1 Like

I am literally drooling. Question. I always thought that turkey and cranberry is distinctively American flavor pairing. Is it popular where you are as well?

2 Likes

Yes it is now, not when I was a child though, but at least for the last thirty years itโ€™s a normal pairing. itโ€™s definitely an American import though.

2 Likes

Whatโ€™s your scone recipe? I am having a cravingโ€ฆ

I donโ€™t measure anything, so about 3 cups of self-raising flour, good pinch of salt, about another teaspoon baking powder.

You can add 2 tbsp sugar at this stage, (or not depending on if you want it sweet.)

Rub in about 150g butter, more or less is fine. You want it to look like coarse breadcrumbs.

Separately beat one egg and about 2-300ml milk. Add half of the milk to the dry ingredients, youโ€™ll likely need more, just work it as little as possible, use enough liquid to just bring everything together, leave it a bit sticky.

To avoid working it too much (which makes them far more tender) I throw in a little extra flour, to help me take out golf ball sized lumps. Put them on a baking sheet-dont flatten them and cook in a hot oven (200c/400f) for about twenty minutes, until nicely golden.

Because I donโ€™t roll them out and cut them with a cookie cutter, they are craggy, but they are better for very delicate handling.

Those are plain scones. Some combos that I love are:
Walnut and glance cherry.
Pecan and cranberry
Orange zest and dark chocolate chips.

Savoury- leave out the sugar and add cheese.
Cheese, walnuts and pesto is amazing.

Enjoy xx

3 Likes

Thanks doll. I have never used a self-raising flour. Iโ€™m also not sure what a glance cherry is, hmm. New things to try!
Rob looked up a recipe with regular all-purpose to try out, heโ€™s gone to the corner shop for heavy cream which the recipe calls for.
Maybe youโ€™ll make some with us when youโ€™re here so we can get a better feel for doing it without measuring, thatโ€™s my preferred way to cook everything. Is that laziness, bravery, or what? LOL

2 Likes

Going in the oven!

3 Likes

Auto correct. Glace cherries and self raising flour is just flour with a leavening agent in it. Iโ€™ll make you some when Iโ€™m there :grin:

2 Likes

Yummy!

Glace cherries! Are they like maraschinos or more candied like youโ€™d find on a chelsea bun?

3 Likes

That looks great.

Definitely not maraschino, while fab, they only belong in cocktails. Candied cherries are what you want.

But also frozen raspberries and flaked almonds are another gorgeous combo

2 Likes

Wish I could have been there to cheer with you all! :tea: :sandwich: :moon_cake:

1 Like

One of these days :kissing_heart: