Airmail themed bag

My dad is a very serious philatelist (stamp collector in plain English) and when I saw Tim Holtz’s Eclectic Elements collection, I purchased a number of pieces with plans to make this. It’s almost unbelievable how many tote bags he travels with when he drives to stamp shows (just like we crafters have quilt shows, he has stamp shows where they exhibit and buy/sell) Now that I have this finished, I’m thinking I shouldn’t have made it with a zipper but I’ll give it to him and hope he uses it anyway.

I used three different fabrics on the outside and a fourth for the zipper insert.

Side one

Side two … the top edge and zipper insert almost match and that wasn’t planned

The zipper insert has airmail stripes.

22 Likes

That’s an awesome collection of fabrics :heart: I bet your dad will get a big kick out of it!

1 Like

I think he will. I made him a stamp themed mask and he loved it.

4 Likes

What a fantastic bag! I’ve been hoarding my stash of tim holtz fabric…it’s awesome to see what you made with yours!

2 Likes

He’ll be the star of the stamp show with this awesome bag!

2 Likes

Great bag! I love the stripey zipper— couldn’t be any more perfect.

1 Like

He will be so pleased! It’s awesome!

1 Like

This is so great!

1 Like

I LOVE THIS SO MUCH! I am a chump for anything postal.airmail-themed and this ticks all the boxes! I have a few of those fabrics in my stash and some of those Tim Holtz prints in paper format, too, and like @loves2experiment have been hoarding them for just the right project. You definitely found just the right project for yours!

1 Like

Wow. This is such a cool gift for a stamp enthusiast or anyone else for that matter. The Tim Holtz fabrics are so much fun. I bet he’s going to be envied when he goes to a stamp show!

1 Like

This is awesome on another level, and your dad sounds adorable!

1 Like

So cool! I love the use of the red & blue stripe along the binding edge.

1 Like

Love the bag! I am a huge sucker for anything with airmail stripes and old handwriting.

Is this making anyone else want to watch Charade?

1 Like

I love that bag!
And I’m not even a stamps collector.
I do love old letters and envelopes and even stamps though.
The fabrics are wonderful and you combined them in a perfect way.

1 Like

That turned out great! I like that the top edge with the zipper has airmail stripes.

1 Like

I love this! What a great set of fabrics.

1 Like

Love it! Been hoarding some of that fabric to make a bag - you are inspiring me to get working!

1 Like

This bag is Awesome!! How very creative!! Well done!

1 Like

This is such a fantastic bag. I love the theme and your Dad will love it. I like the zipper part of it with the fabric you chose. So much fun!

1 Like

Very nice! I love your fabric choices!

1 Like