Almost Zero Waste Knitted Hat with Pom Poms

Several Thanksgivings ago, my SIL was teaching me how to knit, and this was supposed to be a scarf. It’s hard to tell because of the yarn choice, but there’s a bit of a braided pattern made using a simple stitch pattern. But, I kept tucking the project away, then losing my place, so I’d need her help again. It finally reached a sufficient enough length to make a cowl. So, my SIL cast it off for me. Then, I decided it was too tight as a cowl, so I seamed it into a hat. I still had a bit of the yarn left over, and knew I wouldn’t use it for anything, so I decided to turn it into pom poms.

I weighed the yarn before I started so I knew how much to use for each pom pom.

The pom poms before trimming.

The remaining yarn after I trimmed the pom poms. I threw it in the trash, then realized I could have used it as stuffing for a small project. But, I wasn’t digging it out of the trash.

The finished hat… which I’ll probably never wear again!

15 Likes

But I love this hat on you! As a member of the wild ladies even wilder hat club tho, I would :sweat_smile: :yarn:

1 Like

Adorable!!! I love the pom poms!

1 Like

Love the fluffy, plush yarn and pompoms!

1 Like

You are so silly, Cindy! Love that you turned the “scarf” into a hat!

2 Likes

YEY for seeing it through! And YEY for almost zero waste! You look super cute in your hat, too.

1 Like

adorable! the pompoms make it whimsical!
nice to see your sweet smile

1 Like

Thank you! And, I might wear it again if the pompoms weren’t so jiggly- they move way too much, which is annoying when I wear it. If I can figure out a way to make them more stable, I could wear it more, because it’s a great fall color hat- for some reason, the colors make me think “lumberjack.”

And, I don’t normally love pictures of myself because to eliminate the eyeglasses glare, I have to tuck my chin and tilt even more awkwardly. But, at our school picture day on Monday, the photographer said that leaning forward slightly makes a huge difference. Tried it and it worked. Now, just need to work on doing it with less tuck and tilt!

2 Likes

oooh, I’m gonna have to remember that tip about leaning fwd!

1 Like

And, you don’t have to lean much, so it’s not super awkward. :smile:

1 Like