Amazing roast turkey, wow!

This guy butchers the turkey first and his results look GLORIOUS! We’ll be testing the technique with a big chicken and using it at xmas if it turns out as well as expected. I know American Thanksgiving is coming up if any of you are looking for a recipe, please post if you try this. I love that it takes up less space in the fridge & then the oven, and that the white & dark meat both get cooked properly rather than one being dry so the other gets done enough.

3 Likes

It came our great! I like the idea of having stock BEFORE dinner because we have to use chicken stock to make the gravy and oyster stuffing.

We roast ours in a roasting bag, breast side down so it is not dry. But this year, we might do a Southern fried turkey. The downside of that is you need about 5 gallons of peanut oil for the cooker, and then what do you do with all that oil? We use some of it all year for stir fry and such, but at the end of the year, we end up having to dispose of it.

3 Likes

Our neighbour deep fried a turkey in his driveway one year, scary business that.
I wonder if it’s possible to clarify oil after cooking with it to make soap.
I think I read about some people collecting it from restaurants to make bio-fuel for diesel vehicles, maybe there’s someone in your area doing that.

2 Likes

Yes, we have a place that takes cooking oil…it just seems a personal waste of money since it takes about $80 worth of oil!

1 Like

Oh my gosh! I think I will just try the roasting technique I linked, lol. $80 of oil, lol. Is it worth it?

1 Like

It was when we would have huge Turkey Day family and friends…we would do three or four turkeys from sun up to sun down with people dropping in all day and night…sigh…those days are gone but I still miss the process of preparing the turkey and, as you said, the thrill of frying in a “safe” area…

2 Likes

We only like the dark meat, so this year Im trying to source turkey thighs instead of a whole bird. Safeway keeps saying they’ll get them in “Thursday,” but hasnt so far.

I would gladly pay them Thursday for a turkey thigh today.

5 Likes

Good luck, Olive!

2 Likes

My ex and my son make amazing smoked turkeys on the grill. Frees up the kitchen and tastes fantastic. We will be with my son and family for Thanksgiving…looking forward to the goodies.

3 Likes

We smoke our turkey as well. Delicious!

2 Likes

Testing it with a chicken. That’s my first time butchering a whole bird. I didn’t find it very difficult but as a farm girl I ain’t that squeamish.

1 Like

Wow, this was certainly the tastiest chicken either of us have ever made. Wow.

3 Likes