An early attempt at watercolor painting

Since we are posting older projects, I thought I would post a very old project. Once upon a time I gave some thought to learning to paint. I took a course in watercolor painting. I was 17. The final project was to paint a person in a box. In my warped mind, I envisioned this person vulnerable, naked, trapped, and having given up hope of ever making it out of the box. Yes, I have issues. I could make a bunch of excuses for the lack of perspective and other flaws, but it probably wouldn’t make reading any more fun. So here he is, the culmination of my attempt at becoming a painter. His name is Patrick and I would appreciate you being gentle. He has been trapped for a very long time. No, it is not a tampon lying behind him - just a little tear to the canvas.

16 Likes

I think you did a great job at painting Patrick, and I love his story. You should be proud. It is good.

2 Likes

I think Patrick is great, really expressive - well done, especially at 17! (what’s that, oh about 10 years ago? :wink:)

So my question is, my friend, when are you getting your paints out again?

3 Likes

Nice work, very expressive.

1 Like

Grrl, you are funny :smile:.

I appreciated the back story & I think that while the perspective is interesting (but c’mon, so is Chagall’s!), the shading shows interesting promise.

So… When are you breaking the paints out again?

3 Likes

You painted this when you were 17?! It’s amazing, and you did say you wanted to learn so you took a course, which makes me think you didn’t paint long before this. Great job, and also, which 17 year old doesn’t have issues? My own art didn’t look that more cheerful :stuck_out_tongue:

And also, there are a lot of professionals who paint with strange perspectives and so on :slight_smile:

1 Like

You guys are really much much much too kind

Nope. Google Chagall.

1 Like

For me it’s important that people tries, it doesn’t matter if it’s amateur or advanced, it’s the trying which is important :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I think your painting shows a lot of promise and initiative. The most important thing is that you weren’t afraid to try.

1 Like

Not just being kind. It’s almost impossible to look at your own work objectively. There’s a lot to appreciate in this painting - the modelling of the 3D form and sense of weight is really good.

And if there’s things you want to change about a painting, that’s what the next painting is for! I was a lot happier painting when I realised that most of my paintings are just practice for the next one :smile_cat:

1 Like

Maybe it’s time to get out the paints and untrap Patrick by painting him again in a new environment.

This made me smile because when we FaceTime with our youngest grand daughter, I always say ‘hi honey, it’s gramma in a box’ again.

2 Likes

I’m more creeped out by the idea you named him, and his story. And now I can’t unsee the tear. I.AM.CRYING.

I love you posted this. There is some good shadowing happening!

1 Like