An unusual embellishment

I made this leather “briefcase” for @tendstowardschaos in the recent Junk Journal add-ins swap. It seemed appropriate for her x-files / conspiracy/ laboratory theme.

It was simple, but since this sprung from my fevered imagination one afternoon, here’s how I did it:

I cut my leather pieces. In my super-scientific way, I didn’t really measure but I at least made sure the corners were square. Okay…, square-ish. :smile:

I sewed the leather short leather strip on the front of the briefcase, and the long one over the edge of the front flap while topstitching said flap. I made sure to leave enough of the strip that I’d be able to sew the back part down a bit later.

I placed everything onto card stock and sewed around all of the edges of the briefcase (except for the already-top stitched flap). I added the card stock to make it easier to glue into a junk journal- this way my partner would just be gluing paper instead of leather.

I also stitched alongside the opening so that the entire item was completely sewn to the card stock. This also sewed down the other end of the strap for the front closure.

Then I trimmed the card stock close to the stitching so that no paper was visible from the front.

I added a metal jewelry finding to the closure end of the strap to make it look more finished and to help prevent the strap from slipping out of the closure too easily. I also carefully moistened the folded over top flap (I didn’t want the paper backing to get wet) and held the briefcase closed with binder clips, and left it to dry for a few hours. I did that moistening bit a couple of times.

Then I made a few little goodies to fit inside. Not pictured: another tiny envelope I made while dabbling with a paper scrap.

Thanks for looking!

12 Likes

SOOOO CUUUUUTE! Even though your first pic has the coin, I didn’t realize how wee this is until the pic with your fingertips in it. Awesome!

1 Like

Thanks! :smile:

It’s such an awesome embellishment! I’ve rounded up all of my add-ins for this journal, and I’ve spent the weekend making just a few more things - I can’t wait to start putting it all together.

1 Like

Eep so tiny and so neat! Love the simple design, that fits the leather.
Love your story too, made me laugh (square-ish :joy:)

Did you use your sewing machine? I am so scared I end up ruining the leather ánd my sewing machine….

Anyways, love it :orange_heart:

1 Like

I did use my machine, @wendiek. I took it slow though.

Thanks, all! @tendstowardschaos I’m so glad you like it!

1 Like

Thanks for answering, I tend to go too quickly, BECAUSE it is a difficult part, as if it gets over quickly that way. I should try some time and turn down the speed on my machine.

1 Like

So tiny and cute! That little file folder kills me.

1 Like

Thanks!

This is so cute and cleverly made. Great and unexpected embellishment. I feel the X-files-ness of it!

2 Likes

Thank you!

Another tiny gem! Wow…you sure must have patience to make such tiny things! This is clever and fun and so nicely done. Thanks for the tutorial…I see my vinyl scraps being used up soon!

1 Like