Another quick and easy mask pattern, darted front

Oh that’s a good thought re the durability of the ties. I won’t sew them in. The curve was ok, but I think that cutting four pieces will work better with my brain, also faster cutting out the pieces.

But in general, it’s another great tutorial and pattern. Thanks x

1 Like

IMG_20200510_181636 SM
IMG_20200510_181659 SM

You can see in the second photo the pattern I first used. The tweaks you inspired me to make were to cut the pieces on a fold and to extend the shape of the mask so that it covered my son and his friend’s chins completely. I also made the seam allowance greater at that center seam which made it easier to cut with pinking sheers.

I also reduced the height of the section cut on the fold and through which you thread the elastic. On the first pattern I used there was just too much fabric height which caused the fabric to gather/bunch up with the elastic over the ears. Having less height in that area allows the mask to hug the face better.

1 Like

I use forceps to thread the elastic through the mask. I had son and friend hold them on their faces while I measured elastic length needed. As a result there is no strain on the ears so they find them quite comfortable! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Quick question about the nylons, when you cut them into stripes, did the strips run down the leg or around the leg, because I’m guessing they have different stretch. How wide? And they didn’t just ladder into threads?

The baby one I made

2 Likes

That is exactly what I did after trying that craftpassion mask. Nobody’s face is flat across the chin! It needs a curve to fit right. And the side parts gather very mildly with the folded over edge there because it’s essentially one layer of fabric instead of multiple so it makes for a better seal than folded over and over again. I applaud your application of the things that worked better for the pattern you were making, it’s that sort of innovation that tweaks something until it’s good-better-best!

@Edel I cut the stockings down the leg, they didn’t ladder at all, the edges just curled in like the tshirt yarn does. Your baby mask is so cute, lol. I’ve made a couple in that size for friends with a small one, I’ll ask them about fit once they try it out. I’m hoping it won’t ride up into the eye area. I made the mistake of wearing a large sized mask the other day and it was SO uncomfortable, ugh. I’m super happy there are multiple sizes of this so everybody gets something that fits their face.

2 Likes

I had followed your improvements which were/are great! The only thing I didn’t do was download the pattern itself.

1 Like

I made a few more of these yesterday. Beware, due to the fact that the curved cutting line on the original mask pattern is now the stitching line for this one, sizing will increase a small amount. You can of course change this by using that curved line to indicate the seam allowance and stitching the curve 1/4" or so inside it.

4 Likes

Fabulous fabrics!

2 Likes

@AIMR sent them to me! I am using up every single scrap for a project to give to our farming friends and their kids. Just wait, I need it done by Wed when they’re dropping off our seedlings. I am SO excited to get it finished and give it to them, along with 2 sets of cute veggie face masks for each of them. I didn’t use the eggplant fabric for that, it has a naughty meaning they might not appreciate, haha.

2 Likes

I made a bunch of baby ones

3 Likes

So cute, lol. Did you notice the darted front pattern is a bit bigger than the original? increase your seam allowance a bit or trim a little off the pieces if you need it smaller.

It seemed to work fine. These are for two little girls, I don’t know them, they are friends of a friend-but anything to keep them safe.

1 Like

I hate making the baby ones…they make me cry…but I keep in mind that children are now getting it with bad inflammation and one 9 year old is on a ventilator…I have to keep focused and pick cute fabrics…

I made these, cutting the fabric on the fold at the center front. I stitched a tiny line on the fold to give the fabric a bit more shape. I really like leaving the one end open to turn the mask. The side openings are large enough to encase straps if they want or change out the elastic. These were super quick and lined with cotton sheeting. Took me less than an hour to make six.

3 Likes

I finally made one! I have to admit I had a bit of a roadblock with starting because I was a little intimidated by this one. I just couldn’t picture each step in my head. Because of this, I made 2 pattern pieces like the 5th photo in the post, which took me a little bit to work out. I tried just flipping one pattern piece to make a whole pattern, but I couldn’t get them to fit on one sheet of card stock. Finally, I taped two single pattern pieces together at the “fold” and got it to fit (duh).

Once I got that down, the rest moved quicker. I did not use interfacing as I don’t have any and I didn’t use the nose wire, though I probably should have as my current glasses are not very mask compatible, lol. I will try that next time. Some steps definitely took me longer than other patterns I’ve tried (turning inside out, for example), but I do think the curve on the chin is worth it for a better overall fit.

I don’t think I’ll be making 6 of these in an hour (I’m looking at you @AIMR) , but I do think my next attempt will go a bit smoother. I stuck with my current favorite strap method: T-shirt yarn and a plastic bead to make it adjustable.

Mr. Road was impressed with the finished product, too. :smile:

5 Likes

Turned out really good! I am going to use t-shirt ties as I really don’t want to buy any more huge rolls of elastic. The elastic is rough and some people find it hard on their ears.

The chin part is great because it keeps the mask on more when you speak or move around…I didn’t do the nose part either and it still fits quite snuggly!

2 Likes

Yay Abbee! I think the polka dots look great on you :smile:. Nice necklace too, you are so funky.

I am loving the ties made from nylons. They are SUPER stretchy and soft and you get dozens of them out of each leg of the stockings. I made a bunch of crochet ear savers too. I’m ready to give away 37 masks for 4 sets of friends with ear savers, bodkins, and mesh bags for washing.

2 Likes

I altered this pattern to have a clear plastic window so the mouth is visible for kids, hearing impaired, etc.

1 Like

I made 6 more! I made these over a couple days with multiple distractions, so not sure how long it took me, but I added the nose wire successfully and am calling this my new go-to pattern. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

They look wonderful! I love the orange one!

1 Like

They look great! I’ve been using this pattern for fabric I don’t have lots of an only want on the outside. It’s good for fussy cutting too.

1 Like