Antiquing ceramic question

When I was a young adult, I would buy ceramics to paint (not to be fired but just as decor) from a little shop in town. The lady that ran it taught me about painting and she was wonderful. Anyway the shop is gone now and I have not since been able to figure something out. We used regular acrylic paint, but the antiquing stuff we used I cannot seem to find anywhere since. I can’t find anything like it at all and maybe Im looking in the wrong place. It came in brown or black but was thicker than the paint and almost had a greasy feeling. It worked wonderfully. It even gave the entire piece a kind of shine. After it dried we would seal it. So my question is, does anyone know what type of antiquing medium that may have been? I have wondered for years and it just not occurred to me, to ask here.

1 Like

maybe ceramic stain. That was popular in the 1960s and '70s (and possibly beyond, may still be available), came in loads of colors including antiquing stuff.

1 Like

I was really into painting plaster crafts for a while many years ago and used this:

Here’s the amazon link: https://a.co/d/6rrUl3T

You paint it on in small sections and then before it dries you wipe most of it off with a damp cloth. It fills in all the creases with a nice aged look. I do remember it did seem to give it a bit of shine.

I hope this helps! Happy crafting!!

1 Like

Rub and buff maybe? We used to use it for touching up frames. Came in mostly browns and metallic colors. This blog post has great samplw pictures…

2 Likes

It sounds like the shop might have been using a wax-based antiquing medium. These types of waxes are used to darken and protect ceramics and similar surfaces. They can be applied with a brush, rag, or sponge, and can be wiped away with a damp cloth. They are available in a variety of colors, including black and brown. You can find wax-based antiquing mediums at most art supply stores.

2 Likes