Any ideas for fixing ugly cabinets?

Instead of leaving them solid, I’d add some interest. Maybe paint (or use vinyl) designs on the doors and get some pretty hardware on them! You’d be surprise how much some pretty knobs and handles can change an appearance.

1 Like

Do you like the blue wall? I’d choose a deep version of the same color for the base cabinets, and a lighter version for the uppers. Sort of an ombre effect.

I had a similar problem in my last kitchen; light color cabinets, black counter, white walls. All that contrast looked too busy.

1 Like

Congratulations on your new home! I love the fridge. I can understand wanting a different color on the cabinets as that shade of orange-red is particularly intense and there is a lot of it. Hopefully it is just paint and not a laminate. Go with colors that you like and make you happy. Looking forward to seeing the “after” pics!

1 Like

I love that you are thinking of a light yellow, it’s a real cheerful colour and I think it could fit well. My kitchen cabinets are white, but I’ve added as much light blue, turquoise and yellow as I can, I don’t have any plans of living here until I die, but in my next home I will so add far more colours. And I don’t know about what others say but I like light yellow and light blue together, and they are good with black, what isn’t. And if it isn’t enough bright I would paint the brown parts white, or yellow.

Personally, living in a country with a lot of rain and a lot of grey skies, I feel that not every colour works. Grey is really popular, but can be dreary when everything outside is grey too.

There is a Dulux paint app where you take a photo of your cabinets and ‘paint’ them. It helps to visualise.

I would go for white, (I know it’s not warm, but it reflects all the available light on a rainy day) and have colour on the walls.

Alternatively, if you fix a strip of wood to the sides of the worktop, you can tile them with basic white tiles. Pros-easy and cheap to do and heatproof, cons-grout can get grubby so you’ll need to whiten it occasionally.

I’d paint the red doors and facings white and see how you feel about the rest then. I think that the wood and turquoise would look good with the counters if the cabinets were more neutral.

1 Like

Did you end up redoing the cabinets? Would love to see them!

1 Like