Anyone made their own wooden frames before?

For some works I’ve made in non-standard sizes I just can’t find the right frame. I know I can have a custom frame made but the costs are high - for larger pieces of embroidery I’ve been quoted about €100 all in all. I know framing is a special skill and I would love to be able to support a local craftsperson but right now that’s not within my budget, especially considering the amount of works I’d like to get framed.

From Google I don’t get the impression that making a frame is extremely difficult, but I haven’t tried. I hope others have and I would like to hear all of your experiences, good or bad!

My situation:

• I have a backyard but no garage, so I don’t really have a proper workspace for woodwork and I don’t own power tools other than a drill. I am planning to make the frames outside on a summer day, I can run an extension cord to my workplace if necessary
  • Do you recommend any power tools for clean cuts? I own a hand saw and I am planning to learn more about woodwork (just small projects). In a previous home I built a shelf and I had the wood cut at the store but I’ve been told they only cut large pieces of wood there.
  • I have experience with painting, don’t expect issues there
  • I am terrible at cutting cardstock, is there a way to cut mounts more easily? If not, the local art store cuts them for about €10-15 depending on size, so I could decide to splurge on that part. In many cases I prefer to frame embroidery without a mount.
1 Like

If you can get a handsaw miter box you can DO THIS! You will get most likely much cleaner cuts with a hand saw that has fine teeth than with a power tool which can cause “blow outs” on the edges without special handling. I think the harder part is getting that little lip bit on the backside of your wood that your piece sets into. That might require either purchasing special frame moulding material that already as it or a router.

I often wonder why more embroidery designers don’t take standard frame sizes into account when making their designs. I mean, sometimes a design just needs to be a certain size - but a lot of times they could be made to work with off-the-shelf frames.

2 Likes

Have you looked at any of the places that sell precut pieces that you put together? They are half priced for fairly large sizes.

I have used this company before in the US…maybe there is something like this that works for you?
DIY Frame parts

1 Like

I haven’t heard of a company like that before, but I will try Google! That would be the easiest way. Frame moulding material is widely available.

1 Like

This thread has reminded me that I was given a pretty nice mat cutter and have yet to try it out. Not so much for embroidery projects, but sooo many possibilities.

2 Likes

I’d love to hear your experience!

1 Like

I will definitely post when I try it!

2 Likes

I used to have one of those as well…they give a nice beveled edge…I have also used an exacto to make plain mats but now I buy them and fit my pieces into standard sizes.

I was also given about two boxes of various frames for needlework that I am using up a few at a time…I use cardboard to back the needlework. They seem to snug in place.

2 Likes

Agree with TMT, a miter box is needed to get those cuts.

But also with AIMR, you can buy frame with different length pieces, and make whatever size you like. I picked up mine are the art reuse store. They’re made for weaving. But then you can either wrap around or behind/in.

Also, thrift stores supply pretty much all my frames. Sometimes I repurpose what’s inside, but it’s not always possible (or wanted).

2 Likes

I’ve carried around a list of sizes I need for a long time but non-standard sizes are difficult to find even at thrift stores. But I agree it’s definitely a good source for frames in general.

2 Likes

When DH’s father passed, I enlarged the few photos that the family had of him (camera shy guy), placed them in frames we made from wood trim/molding, and presented them to DH’s mother and siblings. This was a gift of love and personal as the tools used for cutting the wood had belonged to FIL. The wood was leftover cherry crown molding from our dining room redo, that we got for $2 for a long piece. The handsaw miter box that @TheMistressT mentioned will definitely make your task easier. We have had nicer looking projects when placing the wood face down before cutting as the edges can splinter … and usually those splinterings happen on the upper edge facing you as you cut/saw.

If looking for someone else to cut for you, area vocational schools usually have a Construction section. The instructors might be of help and have access to loads of tools.

2 Likes

Thanks, I will try the miter box!

Next question, I’ve seen people use glue, small nails and staples to attach the frame pieces? What worked best for you? Glue and staples seem the most easy way to me. I don’t really like to work with a hammer or drill because I’m not good at handling them and sometimes I cause damage.

I have used vnails made just for making perfect corners…I am not good with a hammer either but these are pretty easy if you are going the miter box route.

1 Like

This looks like it’s exactly what I need, thanks!