Apple Crumble for 2

I’ve been getting so many apples from my CSA! A lot of recipes make family-sized desserts, however, with just my partner and me, those big portions rarely get finished. I’ve been refining this apple crumble recipe for the last year or so to make it perfectly fit two 14 oz. ramekins. It’s so good!

apple crumb1

Note on Apples: Green apples make a tarter dessert, while red apples tend to be sweeter. Both taste great for this recipe, though I sometimes omit the granulated sugar in the filling if I know the apples are very sweet. I just use what I have, often a mix of varieties. I typically use 2 extra large apples, or up to 5 smaller apples. Precise measurements don’t really matter all that much!

Ingredients

Bakeware
2 14 oz. ramekins or other bake-able dishes

Filling
3 - 3.5 cups of diced apples (large chunks)
1/8 cup granulated sugar
1/4 Tablespoon lemon juice
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 Tablespoon flour

Topping
1/4 cup flour
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
3 Tablespoons melted butter

Instructions

Preheat oven to 375 F

Peel apples (optional) and cut into chunks. Place in large bowl along with 1/8 cup granulated sugar, 1/4 Tablespoon lemon juice, 1/8 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon, and 1/2 Tablespoon flour. Mix together with a wooden spoon or your hands to ensure apples are well coated.

Melt 3 Tablespoons of butter in small bowl. Place 1/4 cup flour, 1/3 cup brown sugar, 1/4 teaspoon baking powder, 1/8 teaspoon salt, and 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon in medium bowl and thoroughly mix, breaking up any brown sugar clumps. Drizzle in melted butter. Mix with fork. (You may add a bit more flour if the mixture is too wet, or add a little more melted butter if it’s too dry. You want a texture that will break apart with your fingers.)

Divide apples evenly between two ramekins. Top with crumble mixture. Bake for about 30 minutes (give or take 5) until top starts to brown. Let cool and enjoy!

Extra Note:

Here is a photo of another time I made it. I really don’t measure things out, except the flour, sugar, and baking powder. The rest I just kind of eyeball. If you use less butter the topping will be more crumbly (like below). I tend to like mine a little wetter, but I just end up using whatever is left on the end of the stick. :smiley:

17 Likes

This looks sooo tasty!

1 Like

Oooh, I love that it is a recipe for just two people! Looks totally yummy!

2 Likes

Awesome adjustment!! They look perfect.

1 Like

Looks so good! I’ve bookmarked it!

2 Likes

This looks so tasty! I really appreciate you sharing the recipe. The smaller portions would definitely be convenient here at my house.